MFL Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

MFL Land

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:09 am

Who has hunted it on here? What were your experiences?

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
whitetail007
500 Club

Re: MFL Land

Unread postby whitetail007 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am

mine have all been poor to down right bad. landowners trying to deny you access to seeing treestands and trail cams in every other tree. only one piece of property i found is worth hunting, thick wet and nasty.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:34 am

I hunted a few parcels this season. It was all good during bow, barely any pressure. Then the gun season brought all kinds of people. I heard many stories of landowners in WI trying to boot people off, which is illegal under the agreement of the MFL contract. I look for ideal MFL or FCL land that have landowners that live outside the state or several counties away. Or have no buildings attached. That way I feel the owners probably don't come there often other than gun season, and I don't need some landowner who maybe has had vandals break into or damage the buildings or homes on those properties putting any suspicion on me. Thats just my thoughts.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:13 pm

I hunted one back in October. It was completely overrun with bowhunters, like 10 vehicles for 80 acres. On top of that, there were logging trails cut through the land so that hunters could walk around (very thick undergrowth) and guys had permanent ladder stands with bait piles right on the logging roads. I walked right past one guy at 10 yards. Looked down, saw bait at my feet, then looked up to see him nestled back by some pines. Found one dead buck that day too.

There's another MFL piece, that had a ton of nice rubs from previous years. Thought it'd be good. Never hunted it early bow. Went back once during gun to check it out and found 3 stands, one with a mineral block right below it. No rubs at all from this year. Put a couple trail cams out, and have seen a few does using it, some during daylight. So I will try to whack a doe or two off of it before 1/31, but look elsewhere for bucks.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:26 pm

It has gotten a lot harder the last number of years. Downright sucked last year in WI. All the good pieces are being taken out and those that remain you stand a strong chance of being harassed. The word is definitely out on what use to be a great secret!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Dor wrote:It has gotten a lot harder the last number of years. Downright sucked last year in WI. All the good pieces are being taken out and those that remain you stand a strong chance of being harassed. The word is definitely out on what use to be a great secret!

And now the DNR made it even easier......... http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/forestlandowner ... icapp.html

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm

I think the dnr made a big mistake by making it so easy to find MFL lands, before a guy had to put in a little effort to find the spots and now just log on to their web site and see the 'flags.' It may discourage landowners from enroling into the program in the future too, being that more people will be showing up.......
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Hill Hunter wrote:I think the dnr made a big mistake by making it so easy to find MFL lands, before a guy had to put in a little effort to find the spots and now just log on to their web site and see the 'flags.' It may discourage landowners from enroling into the program in the future too, being that more people will be showing up.......

It is a double edged sword, I found spots that were not listed on the regular list near me, but so did others. I am glad that it makes land owners enrolled in the programs more accountable, I am tired of them thinking they can keep their tax cut AND run hunters off their land or try to post it etc. They get their money savings, they need to hold their end of the bargain, and most weren't. The land locked ones need to be investigated too.
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:40 pm

I agree that it is a double edged sword, I don't really like that it is made so easy on that mapping program for people to find the properties, however I agree it makes the land owner more accountable. I will say this, when I read about all the pressure, etc that guys on here say they see on mfl land I am very surprised, I drive past 3000 acres of public on my way to work every day and even during peak rut I usually only see 1 or 2 cars between all 3 of the parking lots I pass. On weekdays there is usually none, this is a well known, well marked public area. It just makes me wonder how much pressure these mfl pieces actually get.....

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:53 pm

As far as the land locked lands I was told they MUST provide access to them. I have one nearby and the DNR set the landowner straight on that one. He has a 1/2 mile tractor path to the land and has to allow anybody to use it plus there is a parking area at the edge of the 40 acre piece of MFL land.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:54 pm

Another thing to consider is even if a spot gets pressure, it will probably be similar to other public land, 80% of the hunters hunting the same way on the same 20% of the land. Find the beds and let everyone else sit in the open woods and see does and fawns.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 pm

Dewey wrote:As far as the land locked lands I was told they MUST provide access to them. I have one nearby and the DNR set the landowner straight on that one. He has a 1/2 mile tractor path to the land and has to allow anybody to use it plus there is a parking area at the edge of the 40 acre piece of MFL land.

That is true but yet there is still a lot of them that do not have access, I asked the owner one time how I get to his land and he said you can't, you have to cross neighbor land and they wont allow it. I do not think the DNR worries too much about looking it over until they get enough complaints. I will notify the DNR on that one. One thing I have learned is some are bordered on 3 sides by other land owners, and the 4th side is a river etc. In that case the river is your access, which if you have a boat could land you a pretty sweet little honey hole.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:56 pm

I think it's great the dnr made it easier to find. everyone has a right to it. also. it takes some pressure off of public land.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I think it's great the dnr made it easier to find. everyone has a right to it. also. it takes some pressure off of public land.

I totally agree.

It's great to see they are doing something usefull with our tax dollars. Pretty cool what the DNR has been doing with their website to make it easier to locate hunting lands.

It's not like this stuff is a secret. Back in the early 90's there was a guy selling books that had all of this same exact info. Roger B's guides to open hunting lands.............anybody remember these??
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:42 am

I to do not mind the DNR posting info on these lands. I hunt in area with large amounts of public and there are only a few of MLF lands within a couple county area of me. Seems like most of this land is in the upper 2/3 to 1/2 of the state. If the owners are getting the tax benefit, hunters should be getting the access.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”