November 13th, 2012

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

November 13th, 2012

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:11 am

I have seen a few other members note an increase in buck activity on this day. I would like to discuss why.

We had a cold front move through Nebraska on the afternoon of November 10th (opening day of gun season). The temps dropped in the afternoon into the evening making for a very chilly morning on the 11th. I hunted the same river bottom from Nov 8th through Nov 13th. My two brothers and my dad joined in for the rifle season. The rut action was steady through the time period. I did not note an increase in deer activity before or after the cold front. But on the morning of the 13th my brother, my dad, and I all noted an increase in buck movement well after first light. The bucks were certainly on their feet pushing does around without much regard to their safety. Why?

It was definitely not weather related. Moon? The moon was overhead around 11 am on this day.

"In the deed, the glory"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: November 13th, 2012

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:23 am

There is one thing that causes this kind of activity, a doe in heat. Bucks will chase before the does are ready but an increase in buck movement happens when a doe in heat is in the area.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:35 am

I think it just has to do with peaking rut activity. We have seen and shot most of our bucks on Nov 10-12 in Northern MN but had plenty of great hunts on the handfull of days around those dates. Sometimes a random a date will stand out to us because of past experience but as long as you are in the woods in the middle of Nov anything can happy at any time so be ready.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 am

Stanley wrote:There is one thing that causes this kind of activity, a doe in heat. Bucks will chase before the does are ready but an increase in buck movement happens when a doe in heat is in the area.

This is certainly true, but we were hunting different areas of the river and different deer. I saw a dramatic increase in bucks cruising / seeking, not just bothering a hot doe. I also witnessed a 2.5 y/o buck pushing a doe in an alfalfa field right off the interstate around noon-thirty. Mind you, this was the fourth day of the rifle season after three days of heavy, heavy hunting pressure.

I noticed in a different thread that another member experienced the same increase in daylight activity in Ohio and shot a nice buck that day. Anyone else hunting the northern half of the country see an increase in buck daylight activity? I was hoping to see a similar increase in buck activity across different states and then discuss why this might be.
"In the deed, the glory"
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Nov. 13th was a Tuesday. Maybe there was a dramatic decrease in hunting pressure in your area after the orange army headed through the previous weekend. This coupled with the time of year and rutting activity may have put deer on their feet. I used to hunt a heavily pressured area of central MN. After hunting it the first 2 to 3 years on opening weekend we stopped because of a lack of deer movment and people everywhere. Instead we began heading out on the Tuesday after opener and would hunt the rest of the week. We often saw our best deer and buck movement mid to late week before the weekenders came back through. I think the deer found it "safe and comfortable" to move again later in the week.

Just my 2 cents from some of my hunting observation.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”