Whataya think!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

animal69

Whataya think!

Unread postby animal69 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 am

Hey guys, new hunter with a few questions. I know that the rut, pre-rut, late-rut have alot to do with activity but besides that what days do you guys feel like you see the most activity? I ask because noone wants to sit in a stand for hours all week seeing nothing and putting his scent and pressure all on the area so iv been trying to chose better days to go. Of course i want to go when its a little warmer but do the deer? I live in South Georgia right now the temp is around 60 and it stays around there all day depending on the sunlight and clouds. What days do you feel like are the best days to chose? Warmer sunny days, Cold sunny days, Overcast freezing weather with very little light? Just with what little knowledge i have id think it would be sunnier moderate temp days but id love to hear what you vets think. Thanks for the help!!!

headgear
500 Club

Re: Whataya think!

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:53 am

I would check out the moon thread, should be just what you are looking for.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14743&hilit=moon+days

This storm front info would also be a good read, its related to Oct but you should be able to pull good into to apply it to any time of the year.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15680&hilit=storm+front+bucks
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:55 am

animal69 wrote:Hey guys, new hunter with a few questions. I know that the rut, pre-rut, late-rut have alot to do with activity but besides that what days do you guys feel like you see the most activity? I ask because noone wants to sit in a stand for hours all week seeing nothing and putting his scent and pressure all on the area so iv been trying to chose better days to go. Of course i want to go when its a little warmer but do the deer? I live in South Georgia right now the temp is around 60 and it stays around there all day depending on the sunlight and clouds. What days do you feel like are the best days to chose? Warmer sunny days, Cold sunny days, Overcast freezing weather with very little light? Just with what little knowledge i have id think it would be sunnier moderate temp days but id love to hear what you vets think. Thanks for the help!!!

I like a cold front after a warm period. On heavy pressured land I like Tuesday Wednesday Thursday. This is when the least amount of hunters are out. I honestly think sunny days provide more sightings but I personally like overcast days. Windy days (25 mph) are my favorite unlike most. I have killed a lot of bucks on windy days. Windy days also keeps some of the hunters out of the timber. If you are going to hunt windy days make sure you stay in the thick of the timber on the leeward side. Do not hunt open fields on windy days you will be wasting your time for the most part. If you are going to hunt no wind days hunt in the morning when the thermals will carry your scent upward. No wind evenings are tough or at least for me. I like 35-45 degrees not so cold for the hunter and keeps the deer moving. Oh yeah, welcome to the Beast.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:57 am

Welcome first off...

Your in good hands for information here @ the Beast!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:14 am

Welcome to the Beast... As mentioned, fronts and moon days are best IMHO. But, the day after a long storm seems good to me also.
I would cation though, that it sounds like your hunting a set stand over and over? Being mobile, and hunting "where" deer move in daylight will net you more opertunities than trying to pick "the right day"
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:06 am

Welcome!

Some good suggestions so far.

I'm with Stanley on preferring to hunt on windy days. It's just been my experience that the areas I hunt produce more sightings on windy days. I tend to see more deer on their feet 1-2 hours before dark (I don't know if all the excess movement makes them uneasy that they get up on their feet or what) It also gives me the opportunity to do some still-hunting which I really enjoy in late-season muzzleloader. When the wind is blowing and there is motion everywhere, it helps as I slip from tree to tree. I have some areas that are on transition lines between thick laurel beds (bedding) and oak flats. A lot of times, I will be still-hunting and catch deer with their heads down feeding straight out of the laurel into the open hardwoods. It's exciting for sure.

It would help a bit if you specified what you are trying to get on...deer in general? any buck? mature bucks? Obviously, mature bucks take a much different strategy than just getting on deer.
animal69

Unread postby animal69 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:38 am

Yea i caught the moon thread earlier and wrote it all down so i could try and plan some hunts.

(It would help a bit if you specified what you are trying to get on...deer in general? any buck? mature bucks? Obviously, mature bucks take a much different strategy than just getting on deer.)
I would LOVE to snag a big buck but right now ALL i want is to SEE a deer, I havent seen but 1 deer all season and she was crossing the road way away from where i hunt. If i could get one in the freezer id start really trying for a Big buck but i thought id give that a little more time so i can get a better more mobile and lighter stand so i could apply what iv learned here and seek him out.

Unfortunatly i am hunting a set stand but iv moved it three times on this property trying to follow where the most deer movement is(quietly and gently as possible) but i think im hunting some passerbys because from what i can tell there are 0 deer living IN this 20 acres. Iv found trails, scrapes and what i think is a bedding area but they all look to be old and not very heavily used. I think there used to be quite a few deer here until my neighbor across the 20 acres started letting his 2 coon dogs roam it freely. Iv found a small insert on some public land im going to scout over the weekend that i think should have very little hunters in it and im suppose to be gaining access to a friends land across the county its just not set in stone... Which is one of my main reasons i wanted to know what days are best to hunt so i can reduce my presence only to key days...
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:13 pm

animal69 wrote:Yea i caught the moon thread earlier and wrote it all down so i could try and plan some hunts.

(It would help a bit if you specified what you are trying to get on...deer in general? any buck? mature bucks? Obviously, mature bucks take a much different strategy than just getting on deer.)
I would LOVE to snag a big buck but right now ALL i want is to SEE a deer, I havent seen but 1 deer all season and she was crossing the road way away from where i hunt. If i could get one in the freezer id start really trying for a Big buck but i thought id give that a little more time so i can get a better more mobile and lighter stand so i could apply what iv learned here and seek him out.

Unfortunatly i am hunting a set stand but iv moved it three times on this property trying to follow where the most deer movement is(quietly and gently as possible) but i think im hunting some passerbys because from what i can tell there are 0 deer living IN this 20 acres. Iv found trails, scrapes and what i think is a bedding area but they all look to be old and not very heavily used. I think there used to be quite a few deer here until my neighbor across the 20 acres started letting his 2 coon dogs roam it freely. Iv found a small insert on some public land im going to scout over the weekend that i think should have very little hunters in it and im suppose to be gaining access to a friends land across the county its just not set in stone... Which is one of my main reasons i wanted to know what days are best to hunt so i can reduce my presence only to key days...

This thread should help you out:

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15377&hilit=first+year+hunting

Happy Reading!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Welcome to the BEAST

Solid advice on the topic given.
These guys on this site are the best.

I try to be like a sponge and soak it in.

(most of the time I am more like Sponge Bob though)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”