Got busted by a mature buck, what now?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oneflag

Got busted by a mature buck, what now?

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:24 am

I live in an area where my 20 acres borders heavily hunted state forestry. I work hard behind the house in the hill country to avoid hunters. In front of my home is what I call the swamp; it’s the tail end of a lake and all private ground. A creek runs parallel with the road and feeds the lake. I have permission to hunt 20 acres of the swamp. The swamp receives some hunting pressure, has head high cockleburs and ankle deep sycamore leaves. Years ago I put a cheap one person ladder stand across the creek but it was a chore to get to. This past summer beavers built a dam that’s perfect for crossing the creek. For a quick hunt after work, I headed for that stand at 4:30pm. It was a nice break from all the work hunting hill country. I wore my 20 year old army surplus camo and packed one quick load for the M\L and a flashlight. Being very quiet I crossed the beaver dam and was looking at my ladder stand 40 yards away. Then at 20 yards to my right a beautiful buck got up and busted out. I just about threw up the peanuts I had for a snack! I heard a military jet coming and used the noise to get to my stand. I get sat down and between me and the lake where two does. That buck was bedded just downwind of them. I told myself earlier I would shoot a doe for the freezer but had to let them walk with the image of that buck burnt in my head. I felt success sneaking in on these deer but utter failure busting out a mature buck just 200 yards from my front door!

whitetailassasin

Re: Got busted by a mature buck, what now?

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:12 am

If he was bedded there, wait for another good wind and sneak in there good and early in the am and wait for him to come to bed. Also if you have a Muzzle loader when your approaching this spot, use the scope or bino's to see if he's lying in that bed again if you can sneak in on him within effective gun range take him right in his bed.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:23 am

you also learned a lesson to take with you. even though you moved with the jet flying over as cover, you learned you maybe need to move even a little more slowly and make each step deliberate as you approach this stand. good luck, I hope you get another whack at this deer. keep us informed.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 am

I may just be venting a little but also I’m confused. I spend hours in hill country packing a Summit climber. This swamp or marsh area is about 60 acres and is my only experience in this type terrain. I might hunt it once a year and have killed a couple deer there 10+ years ago. I avoid it for several reasons. It floods a lot and is nothing but sycamores cockleburs and stick tights. Last year it was under water the whole season. There are not really any deer trails but at times the place is covered with tracks and droppings. My main issue is neighbors have several stands nearby. The ladder stand I have was given to me so I placed it in the thick stuff for a bird’s eye view and to have a quick evening hunt. It would be impossible to hunt on the ground. Beast Style would work but I’m not setup with a Long Wolf yet! Why are the deer attracted to this small wetland? I feel foolish to have had a deer of this caliber right under my nose!
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 am

In our area, the bucks love the swamps and will bed on any small plot of land above the water with cover, even if only a few inches above. Its much more likely to find big bucks in there, than the hardwoods on the property. I assume lack of pressure and cover are the reasons they like the swamp. Also, if on a small island, they can hear antyhing approaching.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 am

oneflag wrote:Why are the deer attracted to this small wetland?

The years that they are attracted to it, human presence is probably limited in that little area and the deer feel secure in the thick and nasty. I'll also bet dry years see more deer in there during gun season than wet years.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:01 am

NatureBoy wrote:
oneflag wrote:Why are the deer attracted to this small wetland?

The years that they are attracted to it, human presence is probably limited in that little area and the deer feel secure in the thick and nasty. I'll also bet dry years see more deer in there during gun season than wet years.

This is my guess.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
oneflag

Unread postby oneflag » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:55 am

I have underestimated this spot to say the least! Since the past draught we had the lake is low and more dry land and thicket was created. All my time spent planning I overlooked a good spot for a great buck. Lesson learned! It will still be a challenge to hunt but the area is going to receive more of my time and energy!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”