Inventory, Food, Cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Inventory, Food, Cameras

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Just wondering how many of you guys are setting up cameras to see what has lived through the season so far? Where do you like to set up the cameras? Beds? Food? Right now I have two out/near a picked cornfield with a lot of stubble left and alfafla field next to it. I have noticed from shining past 2 nights if you have standing corn its golden right now, picked corn is pretty good and even picked soybeans are getting attention.

BigHunt

Re: Inventory, Food, Cameras

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:39 pm

My cameras are still up next weekend going up to check them.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Just setup cameras while scouting today. I set them up close to bedding since I am tagged out for the season. I'll check them in a few weeks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Mine have been soaking for three to six weeks (9 cams out). I'll check them next weekend

[ Post made via Android ] Image
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:31 pm

I'm very interested to see what survived on the farm after the gun seasons. I'm hoping to see 2 or 3 different bucks ive been thinking of . I hope with time as thing cool off, they start to show up in winter

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Cams are running, had some after rifle season pics of a couple of nice buck on a mock scrape. Also had the muzzy in hand today and did some hunting/scouting of some bedding areas, some I knew well and others were new to me but look promising.
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 pm

I have one up over a wooded trail leading into a winter wheat field and one over our small brassica plantings. My Cudde-crap is on the fritz so its siting in my garage, maybe taking a picture of my Ford Explorer. Or not.

[ Post made via BlackBerry Curve ] Image
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:07 am

I hunt public land..Shawnee National Forest..and am waiting for this last muzzle loading season this coming wk end to get over and then put a couple out.

I don't ever see anybody anyway, but I know I got things to myself when gun season is out. Still have 48 more days of bow season and I had close calls with some real good bucks last month I want to see if any are still around.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:48 pm

I have been setting a couple up. Where legal, I have been spreading out a bit of corn and vanilla scent in front of the cams. Not a ton, but enough that they'll go out of their way to sit and grab a snack. Typically set up away from bedding in areas I'd only expect nocturnal movement anyways. Works for inventory, and also studying which deer show up with which wind direction coming from which side of the camera, etc. to try to figure out where the deer are bedding so that I could backtrack and hunt close to their beds.
westmibow

Unread postby westmibow » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:02 am

I started doing this last year. I had a lot of success putting cameras up near a large stand of overgrown spruce and fir trees. They really like to bed in them in the winter months. So I put some up on the edges and used BB2 to help bring them in. It worked really good.

I would say though if you have a good food source I would set up a camera on the entry and exit routes and you should get some really good pictures and ideas of who made it.

I run my cameras all year long it gives you so much information not only inventory-wise but on movement and it helps to pin point where certain bucks core areas and other info to. I highly recomend it.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 am

Defintley will have multiple cams out this winter. We can bait in Ohio so late season is the time I put corn out for inventory. To me, hunting on top of bait here is a waste but I do know guys that have had some success on good bucks hunting trails from bed to bait. Has to get nasty cold.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 am

Unless we get alot of snow or extended days of cold temps we dont get alot of pics in winter due to lack of good winter bedding areas on the property.Last year there was so much corn left in the plots they looked like bait stations in the spring.Two years ago the corn plots were picked clean.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 am

What do you guys think of putting cams into buck bedding areas/beds this time of year?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:15 am

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:What do you guys think of putting cams into buck bedding areas/beds this time of year?

If you are tagged out... I do for the following year. I try to pattern certain deer movements all year...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”