Nov. 7th cull buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Nov. 7th cull buck

Unread postby lungbuster » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:12 pm

On the 7th of Nov. I was hunting the edge of a picked corn field in the morning. The previous evening sit had a big 9 point tending a doe and 4 other bucks trying to get "his" doe away from him..... The closest the big 9 would ever get was about 90 yards as his doe held his attention.........Well I figured since there was a hot doe in the area the prior evening a morning hunt was in order. Just before first light I saw a deer about 150 yards out in the field, it was still too dark to tell if it was a buck or doe, until I heard the deep grunt he made while trotting back to the wood line. Good I thought, that doe is still in the area, I might get a crack at the big 9 before the morning is over................2 hours later nothing else showed, but it was such a nice morning I was having a blast just videoing the squirrels and enjoying the solitude. I was alone in the tree for the first time since the bow season opened on the 15th of sept. normally I have a cameraman but this morning I was solo hunting.... At about 8:05 I spied some movement about 190 yards on the opposite edge of the field, at first I thought it was just a bird or squirrel shaking a weed, I glanced back again with the binos and saw antler. As i watched through the bino's a young 3 year old 7 point came into view, I switched my attention to the camera and started recording. As the buck feed in to about 80 yards i caught movement in the bottom left corner of the camera LCD, another buck, this one consideriblly bigger bodied with a wide rack but very short tines. As I videoed both bucks feeding in to my set I contemplated whether or not to shoot the older buck, I still had 2 buck tags but thought I would hold out for the big 9 point or nothing after all I had already killed 2 great bucks this season and didn't "need" the meat, but would of course appreciate it if it came to be. Well at 25 yards I made my decision as this was a buck I recognized from my trail cam pics as an old deer with poor genetics and I deemed him a cull, should Shane or I get an opportunity at him. With both deer feeding in fairly quickly, I picked the bow off the hook, moved the "shooter" to the left of the camera screen and prepared to shoot. At the shot both bucks took off in different directions, the cull 8 ran about 30 yards to the woods edge then slowly walked another 15 yards to his final bed. And of course I made room in the freezer for all the meat he provided! :D

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Nov. 7th cull buck

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Buck looks like an eater to me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Congrats! 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:47 pm

:clap:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Spectacular!

One mans cull buck is another man's trophy - let me know if I can help ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 am

I really hate the term "cull" buck. Tell me why this buck had to be "culled"?
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:35 am

Great buck. Why a cull buck? Are or have you been managing this property intensely to change the genetic potentials of the animals on the land? Just curious, it is a great buck I would have shot any day of the week.

Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:43 am

every deer I ever shot was a cull deer. lol. they looked tasty standing there and I felt I needed to take them out. :L:
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 am

Spysar wrote:I really hate the term "cull" buck. Tell me why this buck had to be "culled"?

He was a mature deer (4 or 5 year old)with very short tines and no mass, I did not want him spreading his genetics through the herd. This is why I culled him, I do not want that type of genetic in the herd on our property. Why do you hate the term cull? Even in areas with great nutrition and usual good genetics there are always a few bucks that end up lacking in the gene pool side of things, maybe an outside buck with weaker genes bred one of our does, or the doe simply did not have strong genetics, either way if I can control it by taking out what I know is a mature deer with less than standard antler growth I see no reason not to. Also if I offended anyone by calling this deer a cull, rest assured he is still going on my wall and is every bit a trophy to me as the other bucks that reside there, after all he is a mature buck regardless of his headgear!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:47 am

Good shooting, and always like to hear what you guys are doing over there.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Congrats Chris, Did you have history with the buck?
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
VA5326

Unread postby VA5326 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Congrats! Good looking buck regardless.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
If you want to kill a deer you have to be in the woods.
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Cool Deer! Congrats.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:00 pm

lungbuster wrote:
Spysar wrote:I really hate the term "cull" buck. Tell me why this buck had to be "culled"?

He was a mature deer (4 or 5 year old)with very short tines and no mass, I did not want him spreading his genetics through the herd. This is why I culled him, I do not want that type of genetic in the herd on our property. Why do you hate the term cull? Even in areas with great nutrition and usual good genetics there are always a few bucks that end up lacking in the gene pool side of things, maybe an outside buck with weaker genes bred one of our does, or the doe simply did not have strong genetics, either way if I can control it by taking out what I know is a mature deer with less than standard antler growth I see no reason not to. Also if I offended anyone by calling this deer a cull, rest assured he is still going on my wall and is every bit a trophy to me as the other bucks that reside there, after all he is a mature buck regardless of his headgear!

I think what he means is that on a free ranging deer heard, it is impossible to cull deer to remove the genes from the area. you can remove the deer, but that's it. the genes will always remain in other deer.
ompaathao

Unread postby ompaathao » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 am

Nice

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”