Nov. 7th cull buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Nov. 7th cull buck

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:02 am

lungbuster wrote:
Spysar wrote:I really hate the term "cull" buck. Tell me why this buck had to be "culled"?

He was a mature deer (4 or 5 year old)with very short tines and no mass, I did not want him spreading his genetics through the herd. This is why I culled him, I do not want that type of genetic in the herd on our property. Why do you hate the term cull? Even in areas with great nutrition and usual good genetics there are always a few bucks that end up lacking in the gene pool side of things, maybe an outside buck with weaker genes bred one of our does, or the doe simply did not have strong genetics, either way if I can control it by taking out what I know is a mature deer with less than standard antler growth I see no reason not to. Also if I offended anyone by calling this deer a cull, rest assured he is still going on my wall and is every bit a trophy to me as the other bucks that reside there, after all he is a mature buck regardless of his headgear!

Studies have shown that you really can't do much to a wild herd by culling. Plus to cull, you have to absolutly know the age of the buck. That's the part about culling I don't like. You might be taking a great young deer, thinking it's old.

And I know you wouldn't do this Lung, but some guys really just want to shoot a buck, and when the buck dosen't measure up, it's called a "cull"

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:02 pm

Congrats on the buck

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Monster Raxx
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tom.lester#!/pr ... 0779026926

Unread postby Monster Raxx » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:15 am

Congrats

• Advertisement