BEAST hunting....need 2 vent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Spysar
500 Club

Re: BEAST hunting....need 2 vent

Unread postby Spysar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:52 am

I'll say it. "Beast" hunting is not a be all end all method. You have to take everything you know about hunting, and develope your own method. One that works in your area.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 am

I agree that the bed hunting methods isnt an end all method. I do feel like learning all I can about the beast method without falling back into old hunting habits is very important.

Areas I know I need to focus a lot of attention too:
Boot time to better understand and read topo and aerials.
Determining entrance and exit routes to and from bedding areas.
Pinpointing bedding areas used during stages of deer season and food sources.
Determining a primary bedding site in comparison to just beds.

The states and areas I hunt I cannot shine and do not have much ability to glass from a far....that's a hurdle I need to figure a way around. Knowing when a buck is using a particular bedding area is something I have really struggled with so far this season.

I may become frustrated from time to time...but I can assure you I keep it fun. I have a job and day to day stress to worry about...hunting will never be a stressful thing for me. Its my escape from the mess.

One thing is for certain....im sure I will be posting hundreds of questions for my beast brothers input.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:14 am

I've been running the Beast tactics since 2010. Beast tactics have single handedly given me more shot opportunities at big bucks from the first season I employed them. However, I kind of blended the beast tactics with what I already knew about the places I was hunting. Beast tactics made me look at my hunting areas much differently than I had ever looked at them before. The first time I went out in the woods scouting with these methods in mind, was a day i will never forget. It was like a light bulb went on when I found my first good Primary buck bedding area. That feeling was really awesome and I knew I was hooked on figuring this tactic out.

Let me just say that I have had shot opportunities at some good bucks hunting around their beds, but I failed to close the deal on a couple of giants. In addition, I have passed many bucks that I probably should have shot for the experience, but I passed them hoping they might get bigger. With that being said, this has probably been one of my toughest seasons because I haven't been able to use beast tactics very much this year. I acquired a new piece of ground in September and the farmland deer have kicked my but this year without post season scouting. I can't wait to get a little post season scouting done on this place!!

Good luck in your quest to hunt big bucks from their bed!! It sounds like you are on the right track!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:44 am

Also a 3rd year beast hunter, its been a fun road so far. Hate to say this but I am going downhill :lol:. Had an amazing first year taking two mature public land bucks, one beast style and one during the rut but the beast helped with that one too. The next year I didn't shoot a buck but had a great time, saw some shooters and had all kinds of action in front of me but never had one in range, still a very successful year. This year I passed a bunch of 2 year old bucks but never saw a shooter, it was still a fun year but I had higher hopes after tons of scouting the past 3 years. Still time left and I plan on hitting the woods this weekend, like someone else said never give up!!!

I am also not too worried about it if I don't fill my tag, just back to more scouting and more work! It also helps that I love to scout. I am very dediced to this style of hunting, it has produced more sightings in 3 years then I saw on the previous decade hunting public land. Outside of a hunter punching a lottery ticket on a buck I feel this is the best way hunt them, the worse the conditions (public, pressure, low deer numbers) the more I help my odds hunting beast style.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 am

Taking and applying these sort of methods is a huge learning progress. Take Dan, he can look at your maps and notice tiny little things and gain a pretty good idea of where a buck is bedding(like he did for you). That didn't happen for him overnight, it took years of experience, studying & paying attention to details for him to be able to connect the dots like he can. That is how I view Beast style is being very intentional and putting in the time(mainly scouting) to notice the little things that make or break spots. Pretty much the only way to make strides with this is to do it, whether that scouting maps or putting in the boot leather, and then seeing how it pays off in the fall. There is no 'magic pixie dust' that will help you quickly and clearly gain an understanding of Beast hunting, you just gotta do it and learn from experience(also knowledge from others can help cut out some of the 'trials by error').

The thing is when you start to connect the dots and really learn mature bucks you are miles ahead of the other guys.

I'm in the same boat as you most of the time with not being able to shine or live near where I hunt. Some of that just becomes a chess game at that point and making the right moves will eventually pay off in being in the right place at the right time, based on your knowledge of how the buck was going to move.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:27 am

Spysar wrote:I'll say it. "Beast" hunting is not a be all end all method. You have to take everything you know about hunting, and develope your own method. One that works in your area.

Yep.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:38 am

Basically, to me, hunting beast style probably means taking where deer bed into consideration...
Some places, some propertys, you can get away with food plots or funnels, or calling, or a pile of bait... But, some mature bucks, no matter where you hunt, have learned to survive by not moving much in daylight.
Getting very close to a mature bucks bed is the only method in my opinion that will get shots at mature bucks all season long with Archey gear. Some bucks, rarely even move in daylight during the rut, especially on pressured land...
Take Andraes "managed farm" for example... I could go there and see what most of us would consider shooters every evening on the food plots... Bucks in the 130 to 150's... But the monster bucks Andrae shoots rarely show up in daylight and he generally ends up killing them in there bedroom... Sure, I would be happy to take a 150 in the food plot, but I would rather be in the game for the true Slob buck in his bedroom.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:51 am

dan wrote:Basically, to me, hunting beast style probably means taking where deer bed into consideration...
Some places, some propertys, you can get away with food plots or funnels, or calling, or a pile of bait... But, some mature bucks, no matter where you hunt, have learned to survive by not moving much in daylight.
Getting very close to a mature bucks bed is the only method in my opinion that will[glow=red]get shots at mature bucks all season long with Archey gear[/glow]. Some bucks, rarely even move in daylight during the rut, especially on pressured land...
Take Andraes "managed farm" for example... I could go there and see what most of us would consider shooters every evening on the food plots... Bucks in the 130 to 150's... But the monster bucks Andrae shoots rarely show up in daylight and he generally ends up killing them in there bedroom... Sure, I would be happy to take a 150 in the food plot, but I would rather be in the game for the true Slob buck in his bedroom.

That right there is the reason I am really trying to embrace this method of hunting. Looking back over all my years of archery hunting, I have only gotten one shot at a mature buck before October 28th and that was due to him being bumped by a small game hunter. I have been able to get on bucks in the rut, but outside of the rut, my skills are lacking. Bedding is key and Beast style focuses on beds.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 am

I dont know how to quote replies on the phone...but

Dan... your last post concerning bed hunting and xpauliber's post pretty much sums up the main reason I am so attracted to the beast method of hunting.

When I started using beast methods this fall and had sightings resulting from the tips of MANY members here to.say I was shocked was an understatement. To say I am addicted to learning beast hunting is a gross understatement too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:55 am

For me one thing that I learned is that some times when you invest time and effort, you expect to see results. I know I started to invest more time into my scouting a few years ago and expected results in that first season. It didn't happen that way and it wasn't all wasted time. I learned that even when I thought I was going the extra mile to get onto deer, there were still some things that I was missing.

I think the biggest thing I have learned is that you have to think about the spots you hunt. I used to wander out and throw up a stand over a couple of trails and hope that something would walk on them during the day. I never thought when the trails were used or why or where they were coming from or going to. Now I feel like when I find some sign, I stop and think about what it means and how the deer are using that particular area. I know my guesses aren't always right, but it gives me something to start with.

With all that said, this type of hunting is not easy and I know it is something I can't master in a month, a year, or probably even my life time. However, if I reflect on where I started to where I am now, and I have definitely seen an improvement in my hunting. It has taken a few years, but there I have seen noticeable improvement, even with hunting a lot more public spots than I ever had in the past.

Good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 am

Fishlips hits on a specific important point... When you start hunting with a purpose, rather than just throwing up a stand over a rub or a trail, your confidence soars, and that alone in my opinion will make you more successful
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:24 am

This has the makings of one of the better threads if it keeps going. I don't feel qualified to way in on the beast style but will sit back and learn. 8-)
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:37 am

Why wouldnt you get it done on any terms you can, why ONLY "Beast" terms?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:01 am

dan wrote:I would also like to add, that you might want to merge some of what you learn, with what has been successful for you in the past... Completely changing to a new way of hunting in one season, is setting yourself up for failure.

Bingo, hunting bed's like Dan does in Marsh country isn't even feasible where I hunt. You have to take what you can from the videos, this site, from scouting and from what you have learned into your hunting. There isn't only one right way to hunt....
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

ozzz wrote:Why wouldnt you get it done on any terms you can, why ONLY "Beast" terms?

I know this question was for the original poster, but I'd like to chime in. I think the challenge of killing a buck on his own terms outside of the rut when he is at his best has got to be one of the most gratifying ways to kill a mature buck. I can't wait till the day I'm standing over a buck that I shot by finding his bed in the spring, picked a tree, planned an entry route, waited for the right wind, made my set undetected and then killed him as he exited his bed. I think it's the most difficult way to kill a mature buck and therefore has to be one of the most gratifying.

I remember when I was 12 years old, I would look in the local newspaper the whole first week of rifle season and ooh and aah at all the whopper bucks that got shot. I admired the hunters that were holding those big racks and I thought that they must be some type of super-hunter. As I grew up and learned that the guy that shot the big one in the paper 10 years ago hasn't shot a buck over 100" since then, rifle season for me melted into a big lottery where the guy that shot the big one was the lucky guy that had his number called and he yelled "BINGO"! I wanted to be a great hunter and I knew that great hunters knocked down big bucks consistently, not by sheer luck. I started noticing that guys that were somewhat consistent in killing big bucks were doing it in archery season and mostly in November. Still, even at that the rut can be spotty and when you decide to shoot a big buck or no buck, filling your tag can be even tougher. Then, along came "Marsh Bucks" and "Hill Country Bucks" and I saw Dan and Andrae knocking down whopper bucks when the leaves on the trees hadn't even changed color yet!!!!!!!! A little bit of research on both of those guys and I saw them both standing in front of barns full of monster bucks. It was no fluke that they shot those bucks. Hunting always includes a little bit of luck, but these guys weren't solely relying on it. I was blown away and knew right then and there that I wanted to learn how these guys were doing it.

Don't misunderstand me, there are a TON of great hunters that are getting the job done without hunting Beast style, but to me personally, killing a mature buck this way consistently takes an elite hunter, and I hope to one day be in that category. :pray: I'm also not saying that every guy that has killed a big buck with a gun just got lucky, I am only commenting on my own experiences in PA.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”