would you like to see WI go shotgun only?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Would You Like To See WI Go All Shotgun?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 79
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Re: would you like to see WI go shotgun only?

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:41 am

Stick bows only. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:47 am

Dor wrote:Stick bows only. :mrgreen:

Stick bows dressed in a loin cloth only. Cmon, if the archery purists want to do it right.....better go all out! No cheater compounds, rangefinders, high tech stands and camo.....climb up a tree, sit on a branch and get after it. :D
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 am

natvbearhntr wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Shotgun only statewide is not a good idea. Hunting retention is suffering enough in the state, and if its not broke, lets not fix it. If your neighbors are making you mad for shooting small deer or all the deer, you should go over there and tell them to stop. Im sure the overbearing tones I been reading from some of you will go well in a diplomatic effort for a good deer herd on both sides of the fence. :roll: .

I just stand out on the road and laugh at them as they leave the woods. My youngest son yells out "way to go killing the deer I passed on!!" lmao.. I'm just kidding. I honestly don't care but [glow=red]you can't talk, or complain, about not seeing big bucks when you blast every small deer as it walks past[/glow].

I don't hear anyone complaining except "trophy" hunters crying that the neighbors are shooting "their" deer.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

Stump wrote:

Stick bows dressed in a loin cloth only. Cmon, if the archery purists want to do it right.....better go all out! No cheater compounds, rangefinders, high tech stands and camo.....climb up a tree, sit on a branch and get after it. :D

DONE!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

Dor wrote:
Stump wrote:

DONE!

Who's with me?

DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 pm

Dor wrote:
Dor wrote:
Stump wrote:

DONE!

Who's with me?

I'm in! Could you imagine what the buck quality would look like if you could only shoot deer with long/recurve bows!

On a real note it would be cool if there would be a trad only season that would open before the regular archery season, even if we only had a few days or so. Even though all of the different seasons make it confusing at times in reality it just gives more opportunities to outdoorsmen.
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 pm

DropTyne wrote:
Dor wrote:
Dor wrote:
Stump wrote:

DONE!

Who's with me?

[glow=red]I'm in! Could you imagine what the buck quality would look like if you could only shoot deer with long/recurve bows![/glow]

On a real note it would be cool if there would be a trad only season that would open before the regular archery season, even if we only had a few days or so. Even though all of the different seasons make it confusing at times in reality it just gives more opportunities to outdoorsmen.

That would imply that all long bow/recurve shooters ONLY kill mature(4.5-5.5yr+ old) bucks and let everything else go. A good majority of the remaining archery force likes to claim that as well. :lol:
Hill Hunter

Unread postby Hill Hunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:35 pm

If you want to call 'complaining' = me and my brother using our buck tags to put two bucks out of their misery this gun season because some slob neighbor shot at them probably on a dead run at 500 yds, then ya I am complaining.

One was shot through the front legs and hobbling, at best. The other, shot through the back and top of the front shoulder, also hobbling. Neither would have made the winter and probably suffered a slow death by a pack of yotes or infection to their wounds.

No deer belongs to anyone, but for the sake of Christ, learn to shoot your weapon and make an ethical shot. Rifles make for much less ethical and killing shots in the wrong hands of the 'blazers'
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:07 pm

Hill Hunter wrote:If you want to call 'complaining' = me and my brother using our buck tags to put two bucks out of their misery this gun season because some slob neighbor shot at them probably on a dead run at 500 yds, then ya I am complaining.

One was shot through the front legs and hobbling, at best. The other, shot through the back and top of the front shoulder, also hobbling. Neither would have made the winter and probably suffered a slow death by a pack of yotes or infection to their wounds.

No deer belongs to anyone, but for the sake of Christ, learn to shoot your weapon and make an ethical shot. Rifles make for much less ethical and killing shots in the wrong hands of the 'blazers'

You have a point but in the grand scheme of things I bet bowhunters wound or don't recover as many deer as a rifle or shotgun hunter, maybe even more. I know we on here and most bowhunters in general strive to make great shots and most of the time we do, but there are always the exceptions which are not done on purpose, where deer get away. I also know of some bowhunters who do not shoot their bows until a day or two of season arriving and fling 10 arrows a year and sometimes accidently kill one cleanly. A rifle has a little more margin for error than a bow because of sheer killing force, but some will get away. There are slob gun hunters that don't shoot their guns enough, there are slob shotgun hunters who do the same, and there are slob bowhunters who are also the same way, and then there are the rest of us who try our hardest to make a clean kill yet lose sleep at night over the ones that did get through the cracks regardless of the weapon used. Its part of hunting, no matter what type of weapon used. I will say there may be more people who shoot at a deer with a firearm and did hit it, but didn't see it drop and assume a miss without following up, but to me thats a slob hunter anyway, where as a bowhunter generally has an arrow to confirm a hit or not.

I have wounded deer with a rifle and a bow, and I do not like it one bit but it is bound to happen from time to time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:
Hill Hunter wrote:If you want to call 'complaining' = me and my brother using our buck tags to put two bucks out of their misery this gun season because some slob neighbor shot at them probably on a dead run at 500 yds, then ya I am complaining.

You have a point but in the grand scheme of things I bet bowhunters wound or don't recover as many deer as a rifle or shotgun hunter, maybe even more. I know we on here and most bowhunters in general strive to make great shots and most of the time we do, but there are always the exceptions which are not done on purpose, where deer get away. I also know of some bowhunters who do not shoot their bows until a day or two of season arriving and fling 10 arrows a year and sometimes accidently kill one cleanly. A rifle has a little more margin for error than a bow because of sheer killing force, but some will get away. There are slob gun hunters that don't shoot their guns enough, there are slob shotgun hunters who do the same, and there are slob bowhunters who are also the same way, and then there are the rest of us who try our hardest to make a clean kill yet lose sleep at night over the ones that did get through the cracks regardless of the weapon used. Its part of hunting, no matter what type of weapon used. I will say there may be more people who shoot at a deer with a firearm and did hit it, but didn't see it drop and assume a miss without following up, but to me thats a slob hunter anyway, where as a bowhunter generally has an arrow to confirm a hit or not.

I have wounded deer with a rifle and a bow, and I do not like it one bit but it is bound to happen from time to time.

I think the ugly truth is that bowhunters wound and loose more deer, per hunter in the woods, than gun hunters. That comes from someone who vastly prefers bowhunting too. Everyone should keep in mind during gun season there are way more gun hunters are out there, regardless of state, and more wounded deer tend to get finished off during gun season, its easier to finish off a wounded deer with a gun. Just on personal experience, most other bow hunters where I hunt are pretty pathetic unfortunately...its very frustrating...hopefully other people's experiences are more positive. No high horses here.

Also, as someone who has hunted WI and IA extensively...I think the idea that rifles wound more deer than shotguns would is doubtful at best.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 am

DropTyne wrote:
Dor wrote:
Dor wrote:
Stump wrote:

DONE!

Who's with me?

I'm in! Could you imagine what the buck quality would look like if you could only shoot deer with long/recurve bows!

When I started hunting with a bow back in the early 1960's..all you had was longbow or recurve and very few homemade portable stands. I climbed trees and stood or sat on the limbs using my recurve in the beginning..back to recurve all the time for bow hunting now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”