Tonight's hunt is going to sting for a while..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Troutking

Tonight's hunt is going to sting for a while..

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 pm

I went into a spot that I had a good feeling about tonight. It is a ridge and the top of a deep cut set up for a NE wind and that is what I had tonight. Pretty windy tonight so I thought I could get into this bedding ridge without letting all the deer know I was there. Had a big deer at 70 yards and called to him with a few grunts and a can call when I saw he wasn't coming close enough for a shot. Called him in to 17 yards in a thick area behind me. As he got close he smelled the does that were bedded there 45 minutes before(I kicked up 4 does when I came in and luckily they didn't blow). He smelled the girls and heard my calls but knew something wasn't right when he didn't see the party he was looking for. He was extremely quartering to and had limbs in the way. He was 3 steps from a shot but just wouldn't give it to me before he busted out the exact way he came in. One of the biggest deer I have been real close to harvesting, he was a main frame 8 but was way past his ears, very tall tines, mass, everthing. I believe he would have been 140 plus as an 8 but I'm not the best at judging deer while on stand. I know he was big and would have been a heck of a public land trophy. Anyway, couldn't get it done but enjoyed seeing a great animal and the satisfaction I didn't really screw anything up. I set up close to him, called him in when it was my last resort, and passed on a poor shot. Just wish he would have followed the script. These are the ones that keep me going again and again. Tonight I came home and had a cold beer with dinner and toasted to great hunt and thanked God for the opportunity to just be in the game!
Last edited by Troutking on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Dewey

Re: Tonight's hunt is going to sting for a while..

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:37 pm

You have a great way of looking at things and that attitude will serve you well. Some of my most memorable hunts were the ones I never released an arrow or fired my gun. I had a similar encounter like yours early November with the largest buck I have seen in quite some time. Wish I could have had a chance to kill him but just like you I was pleased to just be in the game and experience that encounter. Repeat that enough times and success won't be far away!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Good hunt regardless, having a buck of that caliber within range on public means your doing something right, good job.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Even in full rut, them public landers can be as cagey as ever. I think the highlight of your post was having the restraint to not release an arrow on a questionable shot. Things happen so quick and decisions are made at light speed during those encounters and once the arrow is released, you can't take it back. I think you made the right call and hopefully you get a broadside chip shot next time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Troutking, CONGRATS!

Sounds like an excellent hunt. Those darn deer have a way of not following scripts! Glad you maintained composure and didnt release a poorly placed arrow on him. If he didnt bust your scent and wind allows it...I would be right back in there ASAP on him!!

Good job, hope you close the deal on the next customer!
Troutking

Unread postby Troutking » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:39 pm

backstraps wrote:Troutking, CONGRATS!

Sounds like an excellent hunt. Those darn deer have a way of not following scripts! Glad you maintained composure and didnt release a poorly placed arrow on him. If he didnt bust your scent and wind allows it...I would be right back in there ASAP on him!!

Good job, hope you close the deal on the next customer!

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas. I do believe he caught my scent at the end because he busted out of there and blew as he got a safe distance away. I believe if he wouldn't have caught it he would have just high stepped away. The blowing and the fast exit after standing in the same spot for about 3 minutes tells me he caught my scent stream. Regardless I'll be in there again before the year is out. Again, I appreciate all the kind words.
The less you have the more you got so don't you cry for more--Widespread Panic
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

That is what I call a good hunt.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 am

Sounds fun to me!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stump

Unread postby Stump » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:31 am

Great encounter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”