What weapon would you use?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

What weapon would you use?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:54 am

So WI's muzzleloader season is currently ongoing. Meaning I would have to wear blaze orange regardless of the weapon I hunt with. I also know that in WI, I can tag an animal with a bow and arrow and tag it with a gun deer carcass tag. I had planned on using my muzzleloader this week, and had it all sighted in. In fact, I was kind of excited to try it because I'd never really hunted with it before despite owning it for a few years now.

I took it out of the case and there was a tiny amount of play in the scope. One of the screws that tightened it down was a little lose. I tightened it down again and tried sighting down the side of the barrel and then comparing with the scope. It seems pretty darn close from what I can tell. The problem is, every local gun club I've checked is now closed to the public. They all have their "public sight in days" in the weeks before the gun season, which I took advantage of, but those opportunities seem to have ended.

So do I take in the muzzleloader (knowing the farthest shot I'll get is may 30-40 yards, likely closer) or do I just hunt with the bow, that I know shoots well?

Stump

Re: What weapon would you use?

Unread postby Stump » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 am

You don't know of any place(private landowner) that would allow you to go and shoot your muzzleloader? Even at 30-40 yards, your gun still could be 1' off. You never know without shooting it.

I personally wouldn't head out into the timber with any weapon that I wasn't sure it was sighted in.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 am

I would never hunt with a weapon if I was unsure of it's accuracy so I would be hunting with bow. It's just not worth a bad shot and wounding the animal if your scope is off target.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:41 am

If that is your maximum shot distance, take your bow. I would find some where to site that smoke pole in.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks guys. I will be using a bow for the rest of the season unless I find somewhere to test the sights on the gun.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:10 am

Just burn a morning and shoot the gun where you will be hunting. It's worth the sacrifice in time to make sure your weapon is on target. Worst case scenario, just take your bow.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”