Huh?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Huh?

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:04 am

That was my reaction after the following encounter.

The first week of November I had been hunting a big 160 -170 clean ten. I rattled him in the first time I saw him and missed him at a longer yardage than I care to mention. I couldn't find my range finder and I guess wrong and missed way low.

Anyway, he didn't figure it out and I saw him 7 times total over the course of 8 hunts in his area. On the second to last hunt I relocated my stand to an old road I had seen him use twice and jumped into it the next morning. Everything worked out exactly as I had planned (rare right? :mrgreen: ) and there he was at 200 yards coming my way down a fence line that would take him right past me.

And again, he followed the script perfectly, slowing working his way to me over a course of 5 minutes or so I'd guess. I had time to double check everything on the bow and plan the shot to the last detail. HE was already posing for a certain spot on my wall.... :lol: . Anyway, as he stepped into the area I planned to shoot him I was at full draw and he stopped perfectly at 28 yards. He was in a wide open short CRP type area so I guessed he might duck a touch (all planned out remember), so I settled my 20 yard pin right in the middle of his chest, grinned, and let her rip.

To my amazement the arrow sailed over his back by at least a foot, maybe more! My reaction, total and utter disbelief! All I could muster was a "Huh?"

I sat there for another 5 hours trying to figure what had happened. I played the encounter over and over. I would not have changed a thing in what I did. So around noon I went in and decided to shoot my bow....it must be off and by alot! It was dead nuts on? What happened? I think I may have the answer.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Uncle Lou

Re: Huh?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am

Wild guess, not buck fever. I give, let us know as I am not good with suspense
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Wild guess, not buck fever. I give, let us know as I am not good with suspense

Nothing emotional Lou. :mrgreen:

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:16 am

yeh I already guessed that. Tell us what happened
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 am

My top guesses are 1) wasn't really the 20 yard pin you used 2) wasn't really 28 yards or 3) he dropped till his belly was touching the ground. I've missed deer high before but usually if it's a form issue it won't make that large of a difference.
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:20 am

bowhunter15 wrote:My top guesses are 1) wasn't really the 20 yard pin you used 2) wasn't really 28 yards or 3) he dropped till his belly was touching the ground. I've missed deer high before but usually if it's a form issue it won't make that large of a difference.

1. 100% sure it was 20 yard pin
2. He did duck some, but not 2 feet plus
3. Form was good, it was about as easy of a shot as I have ever had....just like you would dream about.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:22 am

Limb!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:28 am

PalmettoKid wrote:Limb!

Wide open. Perfect target shooting like conditions.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 am

You forgot to put a broadhead on your arrow! :shock:

Not kidding.........I know somebody that did that once!!! They tend to fly pretty high when you lose 100+ grains!! :lol:
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:50 am

bow not tuned right? I'm sure you shot with your broad heads before the season though...

Sometimes my broadheads fly different with different arrows I use...

Bumped your sight or something is wrong with your rest you are using...

Only things I could think of unless like others have said you judged yardage wrong, or you flinched.
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:18 am

Dewey wrote:You forgot to put a broadhead on your arrow! :shock:

Not kidding.........I know somebody that did that once!!! They tend to fly pretty high when you lose 100+ grains!! :lol:

I've done that practicing. Isn't pretty.

Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

Czabs wrote:bow not tuned right? I'm sure you shot with your broad heads before the season though...

Sometimes my broadheads fly different with different arrows I use...

Bumped your sight or something is wrong with your rest you are using...

Only things I could think of unless like others have said you judged yardage wrong, or you flinched.

I shoot only broadheads July on usually. Bowed is fork tuned...LOL so not those things!

Yes, the correct answer (I think) is that my QAD HD rest did not deploy. I saw several posts over on AT about it and it got me thinking. I have had some issues with the rest not wanting stay up in the past, and have had it lock in cold wet weather before as well. Didn't dawn on me till today, but I believe that the rest was the issue. I am going to be going back to a WB for the remainder of the year with my new bow. The newer QAD HD seem to be a bit touchy and I'm not the only one that has posted on this. I think I am going to eliminate this potential failure with a WB going forward.

If I can get good flight and accuracy at longer yardage next summer I will stay with it.

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 am

Were u super high in tree? Drastic elevation change? Bent at waste or did you drop bow arm?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Dor
500 Club

Unread postby Dor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:30 am

Bucky wrote:Were u super high in tree? Drastic elevation change? Bent at waste or did you drop bow arm?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

12 feet. flat ground. Dropping the bow arm would result in a lower shot wouldn't it?

I missed by over 2 feet high!

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 am

prong rest. no bristles to rough up your fletchings.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”