Your next move?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

Your next move?

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:40 am

Yesterday evening I was hunting a piece of land for the first time. I had a shooter stage and bed about 50 yards from my setup for an hour and a half. At one point he came to about 33 yards and worked a scrape. In his staging/bedding area there was one tree I think I would be able to hunt out of. This tree was 15 yards from where he bedded. There are no trees between where I was sitting and the staging area. Should I hunt the tree I was in again, or get in the staging area? Would you hunt mornings or save it for evenings? If anyone would like to look at the aerial photo for me, I could pm it to you.

Stump

Re: Your next move?

Unread postby Stump » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:58 am

What my idea of of a "bedroom" might be different than others, but if he was only 50 yards away....I'd say you're in the game right where you are especially if you can get into and exit that spot quietly.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:09 am

Stump wrote:What my idea of of a "bedroom" might be different than others, but if he was only 50 yards away....I'd say you're in the game right where you are especially if you can get into and exit that spot quietly.

X2

Wait for perfect conditions and sneak in for a evening hunt. Pretty hard to get closer than 50 yards on a bedded buck unless it is very windy or the cover is extremely thick.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Bucks entering bedding in the morning can be pretty unpredictable. If you saw the rought he took, there was a spot where you could kill him on that given wind, and the wind is exactly the same the next day, I would move over in the AM... If that scenario don't jive, I would hunt him where he stages or moves to in the evening just barley out of sight, sound & smell... There movements are much more consistent in the evening IMO.
As far as moving closer in the evening? I think only you know if you can pull it off without spooking him. At some point you have to make a move if he ain't coming in range in daylight, and the longer you wait, the more likely his pattern changes or he smells where you have been and the game gets a little harder.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Sat in the same tree this evening, 20 minutes before closing, he came from the area I saw him last Sunday. But when he got to 45 yards he put his nose up in the air then ran back the way he came. Winds must have been variable. Am I correct that most of you would be hunting the same tree tomorrow? Or would it be better to wait?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:20 am

As long as he keeps showing up, I would keep hunting... He may have moved out of the area, but maybe not.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”