Deformed Spike Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Deformed Spike Buck

Unread postby JakeJD » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:22 am

Anyone have any idea what is wrong with this buck? I imagine he is coyote food by now.

[bbvideo=425,350]http://s1135.beta.photobucket.com/user/jakedeaver/media/EK000006.mp4.html[/bbvideo]

"In the deed, the glory"
Swampthing
500 Club

Re: Deformed Spike Buck

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:17 am

I had a steer long ago that a big tumor looking growth, the vet said it was some kind of fatty deposit and just cut it off and stiched him up. Had another that got a rock stuck in his equipment and it balloned out. Vet just lanced it . In that case the growth was full of infection and junk.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:55 am

We had a buck last year we kept seeing, that had a mass on his cheek. Not that big, but about the size of a large softball. We called him tumor. He was a 2 year old 6 point, the neighbors shot him during the gun season, last year.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:21 am

I can't recall the exact name of this build up. It is a tumor, non cancerous. It really does nothing but make walking and running a pain for the animals. The way he took off is an indication that he is getting along just fine. The does may not like him.. Ha Ha
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:30 am

That is one of a tumor! Did anyone else notice the other deer in the background go running bye..then he exits right after?
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:12 am

whitetailassasin wrote:That is one of a tumor! Did anyone else notice the other deer in the background go running bye..then he exits right after?

Those other deer we bumped while my brother and I were dragging out a doe and buck I shot with my rifle earlier in the morning. If you look at the tree on the right in the foreground, you can see a small pile of my stuff and a tree step. I am sure we bumped this little guy off his bed as well.

My dad, my brothers, and I hunted this area pretty hard for 5-6 days and never saw this spike. Apparently, he was not moving around much, except to feed / water.
"In the deed, the glory"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”