Indiana Gun Opener

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Indiana Gun Opener

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:50 am

There was a time when I couldn't wait for the gun opener. Last year I hunted public land and shot a buck with my muzzleloader and had a great time. This year I became fully invested in hunting beast style and had an opportunity at two great bucks with a bow and came up empty. I now find myself pretty reluctant to pick up a firearm for tomorrows opener because I feel like it's not going to be as satisfying taking a deer that's essentially running for his life. Anybody else have this feeling?

Bucky

Re: Indiana Gun Opener

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 am

Redman232 wrote:There was a time when I couldn't wait for the gun opener. Last year I hunted public land and shot a buck with my muzzleloader and had a great time. This year I became fully invested in hunting beast style and had an opportunity at two great bucks with a bow and came up empty. I now find myself pretty reluctant to pick up a firearm for tomorrows opener because I feel like it's not going to be as satisfying taking a deer that's essentially running for his life. Anybody else have this feeling?

Hunt beds... hunt with a muzzleloader
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Redman232

Re: Indiana Gun Opener

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:46 am

I know exactly where I'm going thanks to the screwy e/se wind we are suppose to have and my Omega is dialed in, I've got the thickest spot for a few miles so hopefully all I have to to is pick the one I want. The property is 80 acres of creek bottom and 15 year old CRP with oak and pine rows that's never been mowed. I spent last weekend in an observation stand so I think I'm ready. The deer in the area have already apparently been pressured on neighboring properties because we've never seen numbers like we did last weekend. There is a lot to be said about leaving spots until the time is right. I've never hunted this property opening day because it's one of only a couple spots my brothers and dad have permission on, but lucky for me one brother has to work so I get to slide in there. I'd like to retract my last post, I'm starting to realize I'm pretty excited.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”