Saw a NICE buck this AM......hoping I didn't booger it up

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JV NC
500 Club

Saw a NICE buck this AM......hoping I didn't booger it up

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:39 am

I saw only one deer this AM. Happened to be a great buck for these parts. I'm pretty sure it was a 7-pointer that'll go 125" gross.

That being said, he was about 70yds out, and skylined in some tall switchgrass. I had the ML, and he was facing away from me. He did offer me a neck shot, but I decided against taking it. I had the hammer back 3X and let off every time.

He meandered over the knoll, and I could see him thrashing some trees on the woods line on the other side of the field. I had the wind in my favor, so I got down and tried a stalk. When I got to where I could see where he'd been, he wasn't there. What concerns me is I walked where he was standing, when I first saw him....and beyond a few yards (30?). My thinking is, IF he comes back, I need to drop him before he gets to where I walked. I'm only assuming he'll still be able to scent where I walked, if he comes back in this afternoon.....or in the AM. But, I honestly have no idea. It's pretty dry here.

I'm a huge proponent of "hunt him while he's in there". I think I'll take the ML back this afternoon and the rifle (opens, tomorrow) in the AM. Wish me luck.....and I'd like your opinion of whether or not I should have gone into the field (head-high broom grass) or not......and if you think he'll still be able to scent where I walked. I did have on rubber boots. But, I know my gear touched everything.

Thanks.

Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Saw a NICE buck this AM......hoping I didn't booger it u

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:57 am

I think he will indeed be able to smell you have been there, but its anyones guess as to how he reacts to that. With gun in hand, I too would of likely made an attempt.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:08 am

I kept hoping he'd turn, Dan. I'd much rather have no deer than to have wounded him.

I'm ALL FOR taking the first ethical shot. I just didn't think I had one. I may regret it, but I don't right now.

It was a tough call, to be sure.
Lateral Bowhunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:43 am

JV NC wrote:I kept hoping he'd turn, Dan. I'd much rather have no deer than to have wounded him.

I'm ALL FOR taking the first ethical shot. I just didn't think I had one. I may regret it, but I don't right now.

It was a tough call, to be sure.

I think you misunderstood me.. I agree with your not taking the shot. My comment was directed at the fact that you got down and made an attempt to sneak up... If conditions were right, I would of likely tried that too.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:11 am

Gotcha.

Yeah, I didn't think much past the present. I knew he was there.....and went for it.

If it costs me, it just does. I'd get down and stalk again, if I thought I had a chance.

We'll see. Thanks for your input.
Lateral Bowhunter
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 am

I think I would have done the same thing too, no reason not to get down and get after him. Sure sitting back could have worked too but sometimes you just have to go for it.

Can you get back in there this PM and maybe setup in a different spot to cut him off before he reaches your scent? He might be long gone but you never know, he might just be in the area and give you another crack.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:36 am

Can you get back in there this PM and maybe setup in a different spot to cut him off before he reaches your scent?

Not without trespassing....lol.

Trust me, if I could, I would. Best I can do is set back up where I was this morning and hope.
Lateral Bowhunter
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:26 am

Good news - Bad news - Good News.

1st good news is, he showed at 6:51 this AM. Bad news is, he wasn't as big as I thought he was. All I could really see yesterday, is his neck and rack....facing away from me in the tall broomstraw. I know deer look bigger when they're facing away. I just didn't put 2&2 together, in the moment.

2nd good news is I didn't shoot him, yesterday. That would've sucked.

He came within 15yds of me, today.....right from where I thought he would. If I'd been wearing my revolver, he'd probably have gotten shot (at).

I was laughing at myself, at 25'.....first thing this morning. He had me tore up, yesterday. Today.....not so much.
Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 am

A lot of times bucks take on different rack dimensions at different distances and positions. Narrow racked bucks often look weaker at longer distances and wide racked bucks the opposite. We all get fooled into thinking a buck is bigger than it is. Another thing that can happen is a smaller buck goes by and then a bigger buck later on. This can make you think a buck is bigger than it is. I have been surprised more than once when walking up to a felled buck. Good luck on the rest of your season.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:34 am

Sounds exciting none the less!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:11 am

It was, Ed. After he walks by, I just laughed (at myself). Like I said, he had me tore up (yesterday).

I REALLY wish I'd thought to take my revolver. I could have used it, today (gun opener). I'll have it with me from now on.
Lateral Bowhunter
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:15 am

Pistol hunting is another fun method for sure.
After I shot my 8 pointer in 2008 I was in heaven!

Good luck...

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Well, I was wondering how I could have been SO off on what I thought the buck was. I guess I wasn't. This is too big of a coincidence not to be the same buck I saw Friday.

A good guy, friend of mine, shot this buck about 1/3mi. from where I saw him......Saturday morning.

Good for him.

Buck weighed 216#'s.

Lateral Bowhunter
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Cool

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”