Reaching the next level

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

Reaching the next level

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:52 am

When I started out hunting, I really did not know what I was doing and did a lot of things that I thought could put the odds in my favor (things like buying scents, mineral licks, rattling horns...etc). Then I saw the marsh bucks video and it was the first time I saw methods that I could apply to the areas that I hunt. The video forced me to think differently as to how I wanted to hunt...and forced be to try to get rid of a lot of bad habits.

I was fortunute enough to bag a nice 8 pointer this year using the methods from the marsh video. Now that I have one notch in the belt, I am very hungry for more! My question is what have you guys done to take that next step to get to that next level? Right now I am more than happy to take a 2.5 year old buck (which for my skills and where I hunt is a very respectable deer in my book), but my goal is to eventually take that next step and try to get on bigger bucks. I am just curious to hear what others have to say about how they were able to make that next step to becoming a better hunter.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Reaching the next level

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:30 am

I feel if you can take your scouting to the next level and put in a lot of time your hunting will follow.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:37 am

Keep scouting in the off season, tackle it with passion it is the only way to get on older larger bucks. I try to find as many areas/beds as possible and then hunt as many as possible to see what pans out. Eventually you might find one or two good spots per year (depending on how much you scout and depending on how quickly you pick things up). Get a few good/great spots per year and in a few years or more you will be golden.

I am by no means an expert, I've only hunted cattail marshes for two years, and am still learning too!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:25 am

Scout as much as possible both in and out of season... Try to hunt with a purpose, new spot every day with a reason behind where you pick to sit other than it looks like a good spot.
JV NC
500 Club

Unread postby JV NC » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Try to hunt with a purpose

Very sage advice. I used to hunt every (and I mean EVERY) time I had the opportunity. I learned the best place to be, sometimes, is in the house. Now, if you have stand locations in GOOD spots, for every wind occurrence, then you're golden. My spots (the good ones) are almost un-huntable (if you're playing the wind) with a NNE wind. I'm getting that, currently. So, I'm staying out of the "A" spots and hunting "C" and "D" spots. Even still, I'm backing myself into pockets that won't have me boogering up even these places.

When the wind is right and the time is right.....hunt the heck out of your good spots. I've had the right wind (at the right time) to hunt my best spot......2X. I took a decent 8 out of it the second sit this season. Right place - Right time - hang to kill.

Two seasons ago, I started waiting to get started until mid-Oct. That's over a month of NOT stinking up my woods (we open in early Sept). It's paid off, big-time. I've seen more shooters from stand in the last 3 years than almost all of the previous 5 I've hunted these farms.....and I've taken two 3.5's and a 5.5yo in that span (still have one buck tag left, this year).

I've learned how to get out of my own way.
Lateral Bowhunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”