hit one

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bonemonger

hit one

Unread postby bonemonger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:38 am

hit a nice one this morning at 7.18. shot was back, going back at noon to look. good blood for eighty yards, wasnt where i thought he crashed so i backed out.

hammered 16

Re: hit one

Unread postby hammered 16 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:43 am

good luck finding him
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:31 am

I killed a mature buck (4+ y/o) a few years back with a liver hit. 15 yard shot and 25-30 ft up. Low exit hole, but unfortunately I hit him a little back. I wasn't sure about the shot and knew the buck did not die right away so I snuck out of the area. Went back the next morning and found really good blood. Around 100 yards from the shot, I found the buck still alive. He was one sick deer, but he was able to get up and lumber off. I had to put another arrow in him to finish him off.

Keep in mind, this was a solid liver hit (verified by autopsy) with a low exit hole and the buck was still alive around 14 hours later. Deer are tough critters, but a mature buck is on another level of tough.
"In the deed, the glory"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 am

If your in guts, I would wait till evening before tracking... They can live 12 or more hours. They hurt bad and want to lay down, but once they know they are being tracked they can go miles and won't bleed well.
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 am

well i am pretty disheartened,waited 3 hours and tracked the buck 400 yards or more and came up on him bedded. he was 50 yards from me so i just stood still, he tried to get up one time and couldnt. he finally got to his feet and was broadside. i tried to put another arrow in him but hit a branch. deer ran over a steep embankment and i tracked him as far as i could and he never laid back down. should have let him go but the blood trail was good and i didnt think he would go far. i think that is it for me this season, i am just sick about it.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am

Tough lesson... but you have to wait at least 8-12hrs on a gut shot... the longer the better. They usually bed within 250 yards and if you let them get septic (stomach contents/bacteria) in blood stream they will be too sick to stand or even better dead.

Most of us have done the same thing in the past....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:47 am

update, after thinking shot placement yesterday i think i hit the deer thru the right ham and breaking his opposite leg. i dont think i went into the body cavity. looked again this morning and tracked him back around to where i shot him.
bonemonger

Unread postby bonemonger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:51 am

kid on the next farm over killed the buck i hit tonight. it was just as i thought a muscle hit.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:00 pm

bonemonger wrote:kid on the next farm over killed the buck i hit tonight. it was just as i thought a muscle hit.

Good news!! Glad you got some closure and he didn't suffer...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 am

Great to hear he's down and someone got him
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:16 am

Public Land Beast wrote:
bonemonger wrote:kid on the next farm over killed the buck i hit tonight. it was just as i thought a muscle hit.

Good news!! Glad you got some closure and he didn't suffer...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

x2
go DEEP or go HOME
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 am

dan wrote:If your in guts, I would wait till evening before tracking... They can live 12 or more hours. They hurt bad and want to lay down, but once they know they are being tracked they can go miles and won't bleed well.

Agree with Dan. I'd take it a step further and wait till tomorrow morning.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”