Treestand activitys

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What do you do in stand? (can vote 6 times )

Eat food
17%
Drink liquids
19%
read books
5%
text
25%
phone calls
1%
sleep
6%
just stay focused on hunting
26%

Total votes: 778
whitetail4ever

Re: Treestand activitys

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:44 pm

I am a snacker beyond belief...I bring at least one PB and J, snickers bars, (unwrapped ahead of time), granola bars, jerky or snack stix, water/gatorade, peanuts, etc. Eating keeps me focused when I am sitting all day. :L:

The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
whitetail4ever

Unread postby whitetail4ever » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:46 pm

Trailcamaddict wrote:I know that next season I will be playing with milkweed all the time! I need to learn more about wind and thermals as they relate to different terrain and / or weather.

DITTO!
The woods has so much to offer to the human soul...
elknturkey

Re: Treestand activity

Unread postby elknturkey » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:07 pm

Good gracious some of you guys are starving me lol. I do over 30 all day sits a year. A minimum I will have 4 sandwiches and candy. Sometimes I will have 2 foot long subs :-). If I have service, which is rarely, I will check in on my buddy's or surf the net. Usually though I'm hunting/scanning or eating. I have a 1.5 liter bladder that is full of water.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Treestand activity

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:04 pm

elknturkey wrote:Good gracious some of you guys are starving me lol. I do over 30 all day sits a year. A minimum I will have 4 sandwiches and candy. Sometimes I will have 2 foot long subs :-). If I have service, which is rarely, I will check in on my buddy's or surf the net. Usually though I'm hunting/scanning or eating. I have a 1.5 liter bladder that is full of water.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I'm usually always hungry but I'm afraid to bring that much food or eat a big breakfast. Aside from the weight if I eat that much I'm usually going to need to drop a deuce at some point and I try really hard to not have to do that out in the woods. Especially near a stand site.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:09 pm

I knocked down a buck this year and watched him get back up but couldn't get another shot right away. After that happened I stood there for a while texting a hunting buddy. At some point that buck slipped back through and I could have probably shot it again and finished the job. But I didn't see it because I had my head down and I missed that opportunity. Then I had to track it all day. We got it the next day. Probably could have saved us a lot of hassle and that buck a night in its bed. I only get to hunt so much during the year and I should probably knock it off with the texting. On the other hand it's nice to be able to check in once in a while. Up in Canada I never have coverage except near the main road... even if I pay for the Canada connectivity. I don't miss it there.
Sf22nd

Unread postby Sf22nd » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:14 am

I would have a pretty hard time in the stand without my cell phone and some water.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:31 am

BUMP
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 am

All day sits I’ll pack a sandwich and some food. But I’m the kind of guy that is always thinking, “it could happen any minute.” So I’m always scanning and keeping way too focused :lol: Opening day gun is always a good time on the phone though (if there’s any reception) since I have a group of friends hunting all over the state.
“You have to pay your dues”
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 am

I was shocked to see more people text from their stand than drink water!? No offense to anyone, just surprised. Recently, I acquired a Trac-Phone for OnX maps and in case of an emergency. I have no intentions of turning the phone on, while on stand. On P.M. sits I drink water. On all day sits, I eat food and drink water. On stand I always try to stay focused on hunting and watch the big screen laid out before me.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 am

The poll needs an option for "hit refresh on the current live from the field thread"
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:54 am

some coffee on a cold day helps me stay a long time. Usually not until 9am. I will text with the guys im hunting with to see whats going on, like if some one shoots. I will also play solitaire or a game on my phone. Again, it keeps me in there longer. Ive taken many deer & some nice ones, while having my coffee or texting or playing a game on phone. Im not totally focused on those activities & continue to look around the whole time, Mike
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:40 am

Just take water here, if I stay hydrated I can deal with hunger.... I’ll text my buddies once in a while, or hop on here for a few, to pass the slow time, but mostly keyed in on what’s going on around me
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:42 am

I am pretty much staring a hole in the direction I am expecting the deer to come from, slowly look around every couple minutes. I do play different approaches and shots in my mind as I stare lol. Once in a while I may take a picture of something with the phone if I am not close to shooting time. :shock:
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 am

I watched the Saints/ Rams game. I thought that was pretty cool. Cold Sunday in Ohio.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Depends on the situation. Several spots I hunt in hill country I stay in all day. On those days I'll be eating, drinking coffee/water, texting, checking the weather etc. I've tied myself tight to the tree to get a little sleep in stand when I couldn't fight it any longer. But that's usually only when I've been going 3 or 4 days in a row. My thermos of coffee adds a couple pounds, but it sure is nice to have a hot cup of coffee on those cold days. I try to only drink coffee or eat outside of prime hours though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”