How often do you check your camera's ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

How often do you check your camera's ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:30 am

How long do you guys wait to check your trail camera's ? I try to wait a month, but I have to admit, I get a little itchy wanting to know what is on the card, so I might check after 3 weeks... I know a guy should be in the woods as little as possible, and I always try to check them mid day, but I guess I almost enjoy checking my camera's as much as I do actually hunting... I feel like that little kid on X-mass morning wondering what I got for presents.. :shock:

10point

Re: How often do you check your camera's ?

Unread postby 10point » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:06 am

I also try to hold out for about 3 weeks...If possible, mid day and just before a rain storm. As I purchase newer cameras with better battery life, Id like to say I would wait a month or 2 if its summmer months. Ive only used them as an inventory for deer on or near the property, so the less often the better.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 am

I was horrible last year. . . checking weekly. Learned the hard way, especially one time when I actually pulled the card 2 minutes after the buck I was hunting was right in front of the lens with a big doe and her fawn. Great family pictures, but I hate the one of his while he's bounding away. I must have just been around the corner of the alf-alfa field when he took off... This year, I'll set my camera's next week and check monthly.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:13 am

I check every two weeks. Typically midday or I just don't check them that day. Bear in mind these cameras are out just too see who is in the area; they are all placed strategically where i won't disturb deer in bedding areas. I could check every week and it wouldn't matter because of placement.
NSOUTFITTER

Unread postby NSOUTFITTER » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:28 am

I check my bear cams ounce a week and my deer cams usually every 2 but in the summer time when I place them on a deer trail while in velvet ounce a week . I know some guys that will take a drive every evening to check them and then they wonder why the deer or bear never comes back LOL,LOL
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:48 am

In the summer...roughly four weeks. Hunting it depends where I have it set, I'll check it on the way in or out if I'm not screwing anything up.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:58 am

I don't think it matters with most correctly place cameras... I generally wait 1 week, check em and move em.
I do not set these cameras where I hunt, I set them in feeding areas where bucks feed typically at night and expect human or predator scent.
If your putting the cameras where your hunting and thats why your waiting so long to check them I think thats a mistake.
WiBowhuntress

Unread postby WiBowhuntress » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:30 pm

I set up 2 cameras last sunday. I'm trying to stay out of the area for at least a month before I pull cards to see what's on them.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Andrae actually has an ATV trail leading right up to each of his cameras. Sometimes he checks daily, but off season usually less like once a week...
He has the best system I have seen. Deer know that he uses the ATV trail, he don't hide that at all... He checks cameras midday.
They don't fear his scent or trail cause its in the fields where it belongs.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:58 am

Could I get a somewhat decent camera for 100-140$ any suggestions.
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:03 am

I put out 4 in July and check and pull them in Sep. Just using them to get a general idea of buck quality in selective area.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 am

Beauford wrote:Could I get a somewhat decent camera for 100-140$ any suggestions.

Look on eBay. I found a few Stealth Cams that were brand new sealed in the package for about $60 each and the work just fine and if somebody steals them on public land I won't be out of $300-$400.
In the future I may get one of the new Bushnell cameras for $200. They are very small (4"x6") and the battery life is supposed to be on year!! Should be easy to hide from thieves.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:46 am

Once a week I usually wait when It's hunting season. Once every 2 weeks In the off season. When I put camera's out there usually close to feeding areas or there on mock scrapes that I make. I don't want to know what's passing by them 2 weeks ago when It's hunting season. I want to know whats passing by the last week or so.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:20 am

What about the satalight/cell phone compatable cams? My bro and I bought 2 Moulteries last year but haven't dove into the modem and the AT&T cell phone plan just yet. It's an investment but could be worth it....getting pics daily and never stepping foot on your property (ours is 4 hrs away)But $30 a month plus $150 for the modem and then another $80 for the solar battery charger. We're still debating. Please if you've heard anything about this whole moultry system let me know! It's certaintly interesting and maybe worth all this money if it works well.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:38 am

Matt,
The expense is pretty hefty to run those cameras but if you can afford it, the results can be almost unfair... You know how I am always preaching to keep cameras out of bedding or hunting areas. Well with this camera you can break the rule. Put the camera right on the main entrance to the bedding area, or better yet aim it right at the bucks bed. Set it before or during a rain storm to keep from getting scent in there if you can. Set up a battery pack and solar charger and just check your email each day. When the buck is bedded there just move in and set up for the kill on the exit rought.... It really kind of takes the skill factor right out of hunting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”