How many of you only bowhunt and don't hunt with gun?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

How many of you only bowhunt and don't hunt with gun?

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 pm

WI gun season opens next weekend and for the first time since the 1980's I am actually thinking about skipping this season.

Not sure what it is but the last 5 years I have lost my excitement for gun hunting and don't really enjoy it nearly as much as I use to. Bowhunting is my passion and I would just rather focus all of my energy on that and use the week of gun season for a well needed rest period before late bow season starts.

Anybody else feel the same way?

Brad

Re: How many of you only bowhunt and don't hunt with gun?

Unread postby Brad » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:47 pm

I prefer bowhunting but I could never miss gun season, for one I love the camaraderie and the hype of it, everyone getting ready and hunters pouring into everywhere and number two I do like the sitting out there knowing that if a deer comes through you have an excellent chance of getting it, though gun hunting is far from a sure thing too, some places its harder than bow simply due to the pressure put on the deer and places from shear numbers of hunters. I feel like gun season recharges my batteries as much as taking the week off, bowhunting can sure drain you when there is so much involved and everything having to be so finess, sometimes its just nice to go plop down on a log and wait and not take things so serious for a few days.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:20 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:I prefer bowhunting but I could never miss gun season, for one I love the camaraderie and the hype of it, everyone getting ready and hunters pouring into everywhere and number two I do like the sitting out there knowing that if a deer comes through you have an excellent chance of getting it, though gun hunting is far from a sure thing too, some places its harder than bow simply due to the pressure put on the deer and places from shear numbers of hunters. I feel like gun season recharges my batteries as much as taking the week off, bowhunting can sure drain you when there is so much involved and everything having to be so finess, sometimes its just nice to go plop down on a log and wait and not take things so serious for a few days.

Up until 5 years ago I felt exactly the same as you do right now and really truly enjoyed gun season. We hunt up in Vilas County and when the deer population took a nosedive 4-5 years ago our group of guys kinda split up and went there own direction to seek better hunting. It just hasn't been the same anymore as many of the other deer camps around us did the same. I figure maybe I will take a season off and take it from there. Maybe next year I will feel different or move on to a better hunting area and start new traditions. I do love hunting the northwoods and have for over 20 years now. If I had to hunt public land around home I would have quit a long time ago. Way too much hunting pressure. :shock:
Stevew77

Unread postby Stevew77 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:19 pm

I sold my rifle 5 years ago because it bored me, since I have only taken two deer with a shotgun. One on a dog drive 5 years ago and the 8pt I shot last week. I have carried my bow for 5 full seasons and I can say it cost me a lot of big deer out of range but I wouldn't have it any other way . :)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 pm

No rifle for me! Bowkills are the only kills...
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 am

I stopped hunting with a gun for 9 years, then a friend talked me into going again about 5 years ago, and really enjoyed it. This season I am on the fence about it. I so much more enjoy bowhunting. Our little group has kind of split up and go our own ways for gun season. The last 2 seasons have not been real eventful. The property is a small piece of land that relies on the neighboring properties to get the deer moving. I just do not feel safe hunting the public marshes in my area. Way too many guys invading them that are not in the woods any other time of year.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:08 am

I like hunting with a gun too, it puts a whole different challenge to the sport, where I am from the is a ton of pressure and if u get a deer u have done pretty good for those nine days, I also love hunting with my bow but never have skipped gun season, probably never will skip it. It's gun when ur whole family gets together all different ages, and can enjoy the outdoors

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 am

Gun hunting for me was fun for about the first 5yrs. I couldnt wait for Nov 15 and back then you had to get lucky to draw a doe permit. Boy when you got a doe permit, you were on cloud nine, cause you could shoot at any deer you saw. I then learned to hate gun season, cause if you didnt get a deer by 9am on the second day of season, you couldnt even find a doe to shoot at. I quickly realised if I wanted to see deer, I had to focus more on bow hunting(I doubt anyone could focus more on archery then me lol). I soon learned to dispise Nov 15, cause it meant my hunting was over. Mi now has gun hunting from Nov 15 to Jan 1. Used to be years ago it was 15 days and then a break and you could late bow or ML hunt for 7 days. Now the deer are pounded for 45 days or whatever it works out to be. I have missed Nov 15 several times over the last few years and will again miss it this year as I will hopefully be out of state bow hunting. Looking back I think I shot 4 deer with a gun, 2 bucks and 2 does. I guess looking at the numbers, its clear why I like bow hunting more then gun hunting. :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:02 am

Im committed to bowhunting. Rifle season was fun when we had a camp back in the day. I went for one day last year, and I won't be going this year at all except Im gonna hang out with my 54 year old mother and see if we can get a deer down for her and I will be acting as a guide/sherpa. She aint as good of a hunter as she used to be.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 am

i havent hunted deer with a gun for 20 years. i can say i dont miss it one bit.
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 am

I hunt in a northwoods deer camp with close family. I hunt the entire 9 days HARD! I wouldn't gun hunt any other way! Even though the hunting has sucked since 2008, we have a great time!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:41 am

I still gun hunt but don't get too excited about it anymore. I expect that eventually I will stop. I was really turned off after seeing something last year. I was standing watching a deer drive in the distance. A group of guys drove off a small wooded hill and pushed a super small fawn off it. When the fawn started running down the hill, i could hear the drivers screaming that there was a deer coming. The fawn got to a field at the bottom of the hill and and three different hunters opened fire at it. It dropped in the middle of the field and I could not imagine there was much good meat on it after all the holes were fired into it. It made me sick seeing this. Maybe I am becoming soft but I don't believe you can call these types of actions "HUNTING"
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:06 am

Been only bowhunting since 2005. If I would have had a gun the last two days in the deer woods.......hahahaha
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:23 am

[tab=30]
PredatorTC wrote:I still gun hunt but don't get too excited about it anymore. I expect that eventually I will stop. I was really turned off after seeing something last year. I was standing watching a deer drive in the distance. A group of guys drove off a small wooded hill and pushed a super small fawn off it. When the fawn started running down the hill, i could hear the drivers screaming that there was a deer coming. The fawn got to a field at the bottom of the hill and and three different hunters opened fire at it. It dropped in the middle of the field and I could not imagine there was much good meat on it after all the holes were fired into it. It made me sick seeing this. Maybe I am becoming soft but I don't believe you can call these types of actions "HUNTING"

As much as I agree with what your saying dont throw all gun hunters under the bus.Its no different than when bowhunter s were shooting 40lb fawns in September to earn there EAB stickers.I gun and bow hunt and refuse to let how others hunt bother me anymore.
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:52 am

Been bow only for last 12yrs,son is 10 next year so will pick it back up for him to learn and grow as a hunter,when my daughter's of age ill be doing same.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”