From Work to Play

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: From Work to Play

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 05, 2016 7:14 am

It is a touchy subject for most hunters. Some go through extreme measures some do nothing. This is my advice if you shower and soap up with chemicals and green soap and it gives you that mental edge why not do it? Not saying it does any good but it does no harm.
Also keep in mind your hunting technique. If you have fifty beds lined up and are only hunting them one and done you really don't need to do anything but hunt the spot. If you are hunting 25 acres and expect to hunt the spot more than once you better take real good care, on the scent you leave behind for a subsequent hunt. There is huge difference in mass scent and minuscule scent. :think:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu May 05, 2016 7:47 am

Great advice Stan...Confidence is King. If you have confidence in what you are doing stick with it, that will serve you much better than being uncertain and hesitant.

I don't want to turn this into yet another scent control debate, and don't think that was Sam's intent by bumping the thread.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 am

dan wrote:The worse thing about scent control is it gives people false confidence that they can cheat the wind, those people do damage to there hunting cause of those beliefs.

This statement describes my first couple of years hunting to a "T". I thought if I bought this magic spray, shampoo, Deoderant, and detergent I could hunt any wind I wanted. I got lucky and killed a doe my first time out bow hunting and was sold. That said I still spray my boots down, when I get out of my truck and walk in the woods. And I wash my clothes in hypoallegenic detergent don't ask the brand I'd have to look, but it is basically the same price a regular laundry detergent.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu May 05, 2016 10:25 am

Great to see it looping back. Honestly, its the first time I have EVER admit he learned something on a forum. I really never see people change their minds. Usually its argue back and forth. Great feedback.

Kudos to you!
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:01 am

I remember when I first started hunting my dad and I would only wash our camo once or twice a year because we didn't want it to fade. Only washed it when it stunk so bad we couldn't stand it any more and we never used soap because we didn't want the UV brighteners. Funny how things change. Then the scent lock revolution came and I was sold. I spent $120 on this thing it has to make me better. Nope. Now I'm lucky if I change out of my carhardt work pants. I throw aa asat leafy over my shirt and roll with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu May 05, 2016 1:16 pm

About 7 years ago I would get out of work around 3, head to the gym with my hunting bag to get a quick workout in then head to my stand. Taking a shower after the gym and getting into my hunting jeans and tree harness got some funny looks. I hunted a very urban spot so when I pulled up, I just wanted to jump out of the car and go and not fiddle around the car. I had to shower before those hunts, hunting sweaty and sticky is no fun.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri May 06, 2016 2:34 am

I usually just change at my spot if I hunt after work and don't worry about showering, but I'm generally not getting to sewated up during the day.

Better was always picking the kids up from daycare/school after hunting. Kids love camo, even better if you can show them pics on your phone of the one you just killed!! Other parents, not as much, especially with face paint on. I have gotten some peculiar looks over the years!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”