What should my wife do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

What would you do?

A.) Hunt her spot because of the huge area and visability
53%
B.) Go to the other spot over the hill 150 yards away
26%
C.) hunt her spot after pressure is put on deer and the natural movements are changed
5%
D.) other
16%

Total votes: 19
Brad

What should my wife do?

Unread postby Brad » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:59 pm

My wife and I gun hunt on a rather large farm near Sauk City with her dad and two brothers and the other hired men have some hunters there too. It is exceptional land with a high number of 2.5 year old and 3.5 year old bucks, a few 4.5 here and there, and a lot of does. Anyway everyone has "their spot" that everyone goes to each year. Well the problem is her stand has had loads of firewood cutting done in the spot, and I mean like 150 cords of wood brought out, complete with skid loader, tractor and trailer, and 3 saws running. They finished up today but were cutting 50 yards from her stand, and of course there is the new logging roads made etc. The way her spot is layed out is basically a big bowl with little fingers that drop down into it, she has by far more "area" than any other spot, and now that it was cut there is more openings too. I feel the spot has been ruined, there has been human scent in there by at least 6 different people, the gas and diesel fumes not to mention the noise etc. Her brothers and dad see tracks in the fresh dirt and think no harm is done, but I tell myself those tracks are most likely from at night. I am torn on whether or not she should hunt this spot, on one hand I feel it was ruined, but on the other she has so much of an area to cover that she has way more chances of one being where she can see it she might still be ok. I did see deer moving around 150 yards from her stand and they just watched the tractor and would run away but stop after a short time, so I don't know how much they were bothered, but I feel it has. When the pressure heats up the deer probably will use the spot again, but I feel the natural movement would be slower. So, what does everyone else think? She has another spot that she could possibly go that is just over the hill from her stand and its a decent spot, but the tractor was driven near that too although not through it and no wood cutting was done there this year.

Would you hunt it or go somewhere else? This happened last year too and she did see some deer but not as many as normal if I remember right.

mossyoak

Re: What should my wife do?

Unread postby mossyoak » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:08 pm

I have hunted logging area with luck before. It seemed to me deer did not see the logging operation as a threat and i seen daylight movement. Not to mention when pressure around her heats up it should give her better shot opportunities with all the lanes

[ Post made via Android ] Image
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:20 pm

Hunt the spot with the quieter entry and best for the wind direction and get in stand early.With that many people entering the property deer will probably be getting bumped all around the property in the morning.
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 pm

There are probably freshly cut branches lying around that the deer can chew on. I'd say hunt that spot, there's almost a week before opening day. Hopefully it will rain. Sight her gun in at a further range so she can reach out to the edges. I'd love that spot myself, especially if you have set spots and no one will be bothering her. Good luck!

rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:14 pm

I would still hunt it. Just this last Monday the neighbor started cutting trees down about 75 yards away at 10:00. I got mad and left and wouldn't you know one of the big 10's I was after came through at 11:05.
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:41 pm

I would hunt it, I have seen deer out in cuttings while guys are out there running saws...might be a little different here than there...but the deer dont mind the saws around here
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:31 am

This rain will be nice, will wash away and lingering human scent hopefully. I figured this would bother mature bucks, wasn't sure about other deer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:45 am

Guess Im the exception... I would hunt someplace else... If your relying on forced movement, or young deer, or luck, then maybe that will work.. Most of the mature bucks I have taken with a gun have been shot in heavy cover at close range where most people don't go...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:46 am

I also think its important to let her choose... Its her hunt.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 am

I don't see any problem with giving it a shot on opening day if the wind is right. If it doesn't pan out, off to plan B.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Tell her to keep the spot... soon to be the best on the farm! Trust me.... two years it will be a honey hole!

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Bucky wrote:Tell her to keep the spot... soon to be the best on the farm! Trust me.... two years it will be a honey hole!

Hmmm... Great point Bucky. I was thinking more of "now"... If they are in the habit of people owning spots on the farm, because of the cutting, that spot will likely get a lot better in the next couple years. So she wouldn't want to give it up to someone else.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Hunt it. After a week, the rain the past day, and combined with people pushing deer she will see deer. And as said above, the new growth that will be the best place on the farm next year.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dandbuck

Unread postby Dandbuck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 am

If it's anything like the "big" woods up north. The skidders and loggers will not bother the deer. They know what's a threat and what's not. Now that the noise is over they will go in there and get the fresh trimmings. I would say hunt it up. Might want to hunt with her, since you can see so far.
Good Luck
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:50 am

muddy wrote:Hunt it. After a week, the rain the past day, and combined with people pushing deer she will see deer. And as said above, the new growth that will be the best place on the farm next year.

+1
When better is possible, good is never good enough

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”