Shoulder Blade Hit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JakeJD
500 Club

Shoulder Blade Hit?

Unread postby JakeJD » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Had a nice buck dogging a doe tonight in front of me. Mouth bleated to stop him and took a very slight quartering to shot at 20 yards (20 ft up). Unfortunately I hit the buck a little high and forward - very little penetration. The buck bounded a few times and then briskly walked into heavy cover. 30 minutes later I could see the buck about 200 yards away in cover; the nockturnal was still light. I never noticed any limp. He really did not act injured. The arrow was not flopping around so it must have got enough penetration to at least be seated in the bone.

Anyone have any experience with this type of shoulder hit before?

I am going to rifle hunt the same spot in the morning and then have a look around. Unfortunately, he crossed the property line after the shot and I can't exactly walk all over the river during the opening day of gun season. If he is just wounded, any chance that the buck returns to his bedding area, which is about 150-200 yards east of my tree. The buck never cut my trail or got downwind of me and was only slightly startled. Also, we are going to have a very similar wind tomorrow morning.

"In the deed, the glory"
FRH
500 Club

Re: Shoulder Blade Hit?

Unread postby FRH » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:38 pm

I hit a buck last year almost exactly how you described. Had some blood for about 150 yds but not much. It was almost like it was running down the leg a little bit and every time that foot hit the ground is where we found blood. Never did find the arrow and had the buck on camera in the same spot I shot him 1 1/2 weeks later. No arrow in him. Seen him again a month after pic and he looked no worse off than before the shot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:16 am

This is why bow hunting is tough, you have to wait for the right shot. Quartering to is extremely low odds. If your arrow didnt get into the rib cage, that deer will be fine, assuming he doesnt get an infection and die. Hope you get him with the boom stick, then you can know for sure where your arrow hit.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:44 pm

kenn1320 wrote:This is why bow hunting is tough, you have to wait for the right shot. Quartering to is extremely low odds.

You are questioning my shot selection!? Why don't you keep that garbage on archerytalk! I said slight quartering to, damn near broadside. Unfortunately I hit a little high and forward (maybe a little string jump?). The shot was there. Unfortunately, the execution was lacking.

I had the same buck or his twin brother at 15 yards the morning before, but I didn't have a great shot and I was a bit rushed so I passed. The buck got behind some brush at 10 yards and caught a whiff of me or saw something he didn't like and moved in the other direction.
"In the deed, the glory"
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:24 pm

I don't think Ken is jumping on you. What he says is true and constructive. I have shoulder shot 2 bucks in the past. First one I should not have taken the shot, second one perfectly broadside and I blew it. There is always something to learn from every shot we take.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”