Longest you have ever gone without shooting a buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Longest you have ever gone without shooting a buck?

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:37 am

Thought I would post this question to get a feel for how others view their success on killing bucks. There are many here that kill big bucks every single year but most of us, including me, are still learning and are not nearly as succesful putting them down on a regular basis. Many factors play into this of course including time to hunt, quality of land, hunting in low deer number areas etc...

I myself am pretty stubborn on my goals and because of that have not killed a buck in a little over 3 years. It is not for lack of opportunity thats for sure and I sometimes wonder if I am crazy for letting some of the bucks walk that I do. I am to the point right now that I don't feel like I have to kill a buck every year to have a succesful season and eating tag soup is not as bad as it was when I was younger. I was killing bucks pretty much every year up until about 10 years ago although none of them were never really big. Since then I have changed my goals and only killed 3 very good bucks that met my standard.

So what is your limit before you say heck with it and shoot a smaller buck that is below your self imposed standards?

TreeToad

Re: Longest you have ever gone without shooting a buck?

Unread postby TreeToad » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:56 am

I've been asking myself that same question for the last couple of years. Back in 1997 when I first got married I was hunting a lot like most people on here. I had a run in 4 years where I shot 5 P&Y bucks in those for years. 4 with the bow and one with a gun. That's when I met Dan for he scored all of them for Buckmasters. Since then I got a pretty demanding job and 3 kids. So getting out 5 times a week just isn't in the cards anymore.

So how have I done since then...not so well if your talking about big mature bucks. I've thrown one arrow at a buck since 2000. It was probably the biggest buck of my life but I hit it back and have been sick about not finding him for a long time. Other then shooting does here and there I have let everything walk. Now the quality of the land that I use to have is nowhere near what I was hunting back in 1997 so it's been pretty tough going into season after season not even having a pic of deer I would consider shooting. My standards have been 130" or better and if I shoot it... it better be worth putting on the wall. If it's not then hopefully we will meet again in the coming years.

Last wednesday I had a 125" clean 10 point walk 8 yards from my stand and I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. He was just a little bit smaller then what I'm after. Right after he walked by I said to myself that was probably the biggest buck your going to see this season. Part of me is getting a little nervous on actually pulling off the shot seeing I haven't gone thru the excitement in awhile.

At what point do I say screw it and take a 2 year old down. I'm not sure. I may be happy I did it at first but I think long term I would be disapointed.

The most excited I've gotten in a long time came this year during the youth hunt when my daughter filled both her tags the first day. She got a doe on public in the morning and at 11:00am she got a 2 year old 8 point on some private land that we can hunt. If I ever could figure out how to post pics I will post the story.

Treetoad
Your arrows are only happy when they're flying!
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:03 am

Well....up until this year I have not killed a buck since 2008 and that was a really good one with gun. But with bow I went 6 years without getting one. Missed two 3 yr olds tho and wounded 2 3yr olds in that time frame. Got my buck this year so Im happy! :D Passed alot of 2 yr old bucks in the past 6 years and a ton of yearlings.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 am

I went 8 years once without killing a buck...as a matter of fact, I didnt hunt at all for those 8 years....just about to that point again.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 am

2009 was my last buck shot. So I guess if not this year it will be (3) years.

My standards were raised, self imposed, in about 2001. Otherwise the years before that were mostly little dinky bucks with a few ok ones thrown in.

I still shoot does, and have only missed (1) year, 2010 with out ever shooting at least one deer with the bow since shooting my 1st almost 30 years ago.

I still like to shoot does......it's fun and helps with keeping an edge when the time is right and a big buck does cooperate.

Not shooting a buck ever year isn't so bad......if I stopped shooting does that might bother me. (just me, other guys may be different)

I rarely travel out of state to hunt like I used to and bow hunting time is severly cut in WI beacuse of the kids getting involved. Not complaining as I love watching my son drill deer.....just in December I want to shoot one myself also.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:46 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:I went 8 years once without killing a buck...as a matter of fact, I didnt hunt at all for those 8 years....just about to that point again.

Well I said I didnt hunt at all...I meant I didnt deer hunt at all. I killed 15-20 Big mature gobblers during that time. But I got board with turkey hunting a few years ago and quit that.
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:59 am

I went for 3 years without shooting a buck. I think that will be a little more common now that I've raised my standards to 3.5 year olds
When better is possible, good is never good enough
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:08 am

Well it's been awhile since I shot my last buck with a bow. I think from about 05 to 08 I shot 3 decent bucks in that time frame. Since than I've decided to settle for 3.5 years old or older bucks
and I've had opportunities, but the deer just didn't cooperate. Well in 2010 I missed my biggest a huge 10ptr. Last year I passed on 9 bucks and shot a does instead for the meat. This year I'm holding on to my standard of a 120 class buck or better. I have the rest of November and December to get it done.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 pm

I've went 8 years a couple of times. I passed allot of 125 to 130 Inch bucks. My goal Is usually 130 and over so anything under gets a pass most of the time. Up until the last 3 years that was one tough fricking goal. Bucks don't usually get much age on them around my area but things are starting to look up the last few years.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:I went 8 years once without killing a buck...as a matter of fact, I didnt hunt at all for those 8 years....just about to that point again.
Getting bored again?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. Glad to see I am not the only one here that is stubborn on their goals. The last 10 years my standard has been set at 130" and 3.5 year old. Over the years I have passed many that were borderline and just always felt there was a better one out there. Looking back I don't regret letting any of them walk since they all created a memory wether I killed them or not.

I have had some encounters with some unbelievable bucks over the years but somehow they always seem to outsmart me! :doh: The only way I look at things is in a positive light and I honestly believe that every new day on stand is the day I will kill my biggest buck. You have to feel that way and never give up because lack of honest effort can really hurt you when it matters most.

For now I really truly enjoy seeing the success of everyone here and really respect the work that I see many put in to kill their deer. Makes everything I do seem worthwhile and keeps me feeling positive. 8-)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:09 pm

My biggest buck was a 113" 10pter 2 years ago. Since then I have passed bigger and seen bigger. I did have my standards up to mature buck 140+...but I'm getting an ITCHY finger. When I see a rack coming I just pray to god its 130 or over...and it usually isn't. I'm sick of seeing 2 yr old bucks :lol: . I've seen the most shooter bucks this year and I know for a fact it has to do with the beast style method of hunting and the scouting I put in. I've come very close, even drew back once...Just can't seem to seal the deal. Its very frustrating. I WILL NOT shoot a 2 yr old buck. I find it very fun to track down and hunt a particular buck. I have quite a few of them on the list. I saw 1 of them the 2nd weekend but it was too far and the other one I passed up being a 2 yr old last weekend. You are right Dewey all you can do is stay positive and keep on keeping on. I know one day I will put one down and it is going to be the best feeling in the world, I already know it.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:51 pm

This is my 8th or 9th season bowhunting, and starting out other than does and a spike I didn't kill anything decent until 2009, which happens to be the first year I started scouting. 2010 no buck, but I did see some good ones, just no shot. I'm not to the point yet where I'm real picky. I know it when I see it. If it makes my heart race and looks decent it is getting whacked. I imagine in the future after I get a few bucks under my belt that will change, but maybe not. Either way I'm having fun.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Schultzy wrote:
Getting bored again?

Yap...getting pretty bored with deer hunting, or maybe I'm just burnt out. Probably need to take another brake from deer hunttng.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:00 pm

I did not kill a buck in 2005 or 2006. Those two years I switched over to only hunting with a bow and upped my standards. Although I continue to only hunt with a bow, I came to realize I upped my standards too fast and it didn't mesh with my skills. Those two buckless years were the two best mental developmental years for me in the deer woods. I had bucks in range, just not the ones I wanted.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”