Longest you have ever gone without shooting a buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: Longest you have ever gone without shooting a buck?

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:02 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:I went 8 years once without killing a buck...as a matter of fact, I didnt hunt at all for those 8 years....just about to that point again.
Getting bored again?

Yap...getting pretty bored with deer hunting, or maybe I'm just burnt out. Probably need to take another brake from deer hunttng.

Josh, also I would say your demanding job also zaps alot of your mental strength. I bet when you pull back on those hours your desire to be in the woods will increase. Working that schedule has got to drain your brother.

Brett

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:18 pm

virginiashadow wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:I went 8 years once without killing a buck...as a matter of fact, I didnt hunt at all for those 8 years....just about to that point again.
Getting bored again?

Yap...getting pretty bored with deer hunting, or maybe I'm just burnt out. Probably need to take another brake from deer hunttng.

Josh, also I would say your demanding job also zaps alot of your mental strength. I bet when you pull back on those hours your desire to be in the woods will increase. Working that schedule has got to drain your brother.

Brett

Amen to that Brett...when I do get a little time off and at home....I would much rather spend it with the family, not in the woods. Way more important things in life then a deer.

Josh
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:
virginiashadow wrote:
Autumn Ninja wrote:
Schultzy wrote:
Getting bored again?

Brett

Amen to that Brett...when I do get a little time off and at home....I would much rather spend it with the family, not in the woods. Way more important things in life then a deer.

Josh

I hear you Josh. My new schedule has me working 4pm-2am so many days I drop my kids off at school and don't see them until the next morning for 30 minutes. I may only see them a couple hours over 5 days til I have a break. So when I do have a break I want to be with them. This was by far my slowest October hunting year in over a decade. I hunted like three afternoon sits in all of October b/c I just missed my family. I really enjoy hunting in October and not relying on the rut, but I had to this year because of my family obligations.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:36 am

I didn't kill a buck from 1998 thru 2002 bowhunting. From 2003 on I've been on a roll. Hope it continues!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:51 am

This year will be 5 if I don't get one. I've had chances last two years. Missed two years ago and last year I hit high in the shoulder at the end of oct. never found it. Had a pic two weeks later. Missed him again at 250 yds during holiday hunt. And last pic was at end of January. Had a 150" 9 point at 40 yds 2 weeks ago but wasn't comfortable with the shot. I shoot a doe or 2 each year for meat. If a buck isn't going on my wall I'm not shooting.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:13 am

currently into my 3rd season
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:31 am

I am on about a 2 or 3 year cycle. i am going to work hard to close the gap though

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:25 am

virginiashadow wrote:I hear you Josh.

Talking to you Brett and reading the "why I hunt" threads made me want to go hunt this morning.

Had a 125-130" buck come in to bed late....just not who I wanted to see, still a fun morning. Sorry for the bad pic...I know it sucks but I took it with my cell phone.

GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:03 am

I didn't shoot a buck last year. I think the longest I've gone was 2 years.

As far as my standards go. They change a lot, because I can shoot up to 9 bucks a year in NY. I would like to break the ice with a one or two 80 - 100" bucks and then hold out for a big one.

adrenalin
500 Club

Unread postby adrenalin » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Well with the gun I havent killed a buck in 15 years. I really dont care for gun hunting much. Honestley only go to be with family. Bow hunting I think the longest was 2 or 3 years once.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:02 am

I had one season a few years ago I did not shoot a buck. Otherwise pretty much every year since childhood. I think killing, makes us better at killing... If that makes sense.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:

Talking to you Brett and reading the "why I hunt" threads made me want to go hunt this morning.

Had a 125-130" buck come in to bed late....just not who I wanted to see, still a fun morning. Sorry for the bad pic...I know it sucks but I took it with my cell phone.

Nice buck man, I would have shot in a heartbeat! :)

Over the past two days I saw a 130-140 at 40 yards and two other bucks that went about 110-125 three other times. I thought I was going to kill one today about 1 as the hot doe he was running came by at 5 yards...he came by at 30 and I did not have a shot!

As for your desire to hunt Josh, it could be that you are just tired. I have been on vacation for 10 days. I had not had a break in two years. It took me almost a week of sleeping and hunting to feel normal again. I fell asleep on stand so much the first week I was on vacation I started to get worried. My energy levels are back now after ten days of no work and hunting is fun again!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Autumn Ninja wrote:

Nice buck man, I would have shot in a heartbeat! :)

Over the past two days I saw a 130-140 at 40 yards and two other bucks that went about 110-125 three other times. I thought I was going to kill one today about 1 as the hot doe he was running came by at 5 yards...he came by at 30 and I did not have a shot!

As for your desire to hunt Josh, it could be that you are just tired. I have been on vacation for 10 days. I had not had a break in two years. It took me almost a week of sleeping and hunting to feel normal again. I fell asleep on stand so much the first week I was on vacation I started to get worried. My energy levels are back now after ten days of no work and hunting is fun again!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Czabs wrote: I know one day I will put one down and it is going to be the best feeling in the world, I already know it.

Looks like that day came much sooner than I bet you thought it would! ;)

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Czabs wrote:My biggest buck was a 113" 10pter 2 years ago. Since then I have passed bigger and seen bigger. I did have my standards up to mature buck 140+...but I'm getting an ITCHY finger. When I see a rack coming I just pray to god its 130 or over...and it usually isn't. I'm sick of seeing 2 yr old bucks :lol: . I've seen the most shooter bucks this year and I know for a fact it has to do with the beast style method of hunting and the scouting I put in. I've come very close, even drew back once...Just can't seem to seal the deal. Its very frustrating. I WILL NOT shoot a 2 yr old buck. I find it very fun to track down and hunt a particular buck. I have quite a few of them on the list. I saw 1 of them the 2nd weekend but it was too far and the other one I passed up being a 2 yr old last weekend. You are right Dewey all you can do is stay positive and keep on keeping on. I know one day I will put one down and it is going to be the best feeling in the world, I already know it.

Looks like that day came much sooner than you thought it would!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”