The ups and downs of bowhunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Haus86

The ups and downs of bowhunting

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

The last few days have been very exciting and now very disappointing. This season I have been struggling to get any shot opportunities. I have been seeing some nice bucks, but none of them have gotten within 50 yards. Today all of that changed. My friend Mark was filming me, and we had a very exciting morning. We had two great bucks within range and I ended up shooting the fat 8 pointer, but unfortunately I hit him low and we were unable to recover him. It's a bummer that I wasn't able to make the shot and I feel bad for the deer , but such is life I guess. There are worse things like Obama being president again.

Here is a picture of the buck right before the shot

The best part about the last few days was I got to share my hunts with my friend. To top it all off, he ended up killing a really nice 10 pointer Monday night that is going back to Michigan with him.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: The ups and downs of bowhunting

Unread postby dan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Congrats to your friend.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Congrats! I think I would have shot that fat 10 also! Does the other buck have split G2's and split G3's? Talk about cool
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Bummer you lost yours. Great story otherwise.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 pm

James wrote:Congrats! I think I would have shot that fat 10 also! Does the other buck have split G2's and split G3's? Talk about cool

Yeah he does. He is going to be a great buck next year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Sorry 'bout the loss. That sucks, but like you say, it happens occasionally.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 am

The morning started out with the bigger racked, forked buck coming in behind us with some does. For some reason the does were on edge and they skirted past us at 60 yards. He was the buck we were wanting to see so we were really excited after the encounter. Around 9:00, I saw a rack through some brush. It took me awhile to realize what I was seeing, but after a little time I noticed it was a nice buck mounting a doe. They slowly walked away from us and out of sight. Ten minutes later they worked their way back. He had her pinned against a fence and wouldn't let her get around him. Eventually she worked her way across and he followed. They ended up coming to within 25 yards with no shots due to brush. The doe ended up bedding down and he followed. So now I had the fat buck tending a doe at 25 yards for an hour. I didn't know how long I would have to wait them out and I can assure you I was cramping up from holding so still. Eventually a couple does came running through from the direction the forked buck went earlier. Soon after the bigger racked buck crested the hill with his doe and was working his way right towards us. Once the fat buck saw him he immediately stood up, put his ears, back and started heading straight for him. I am convinced they were going to have a brawl right in front of me. As the fat buck walked broadside through my lane, I decided to take a shot. It would have been great to see what was going to happen, but I wasn't going to let an opportunity slip through my fingers at this point. It definitely was one of the better encounters I have been a part of and makes for some great video.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:25 am

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:13 am

Pretty good outcome none the less.
Your buddy got a gr8 buck, you had opportunity and looks like the shot grazed his brisket and will likely live...

Still plenty of season left too!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:03 am

It happens to the best of us man! Was there a reason you didn't shoot at the buck in the back!? :shock: :lol:

Congrats to your buddy.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:38 am

Czabs wrote:It happens to the best of us man! Was there a reason you didn't shoot at the buck in the back!? :shock: :lol:

Congrats to your buddy.

Yeah, so I can shoot him when he is bigger next year! :D I think he is only 3.5. Honestly though it was a quick decision and I wondered the same thing after I shot.
Beason
500 Club

Unread postby Beason » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:58 pm

That's ironic that your buddy is Mark Kenyon. Ive seen his work around alot lately. You're in IA, you should see another monster ;)
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 pm

If you want to see video of the hunts you can watch it here

http://wiredtohunt.com/2012/12/05/wired ... owa-dream/

I waited 5 hours to go after my deer. Looking back I wish I would have pursued him right away. Dan always preaches pushing one lung deer or deer that aren't gut shot, and I wish I would have done just that. I think I hit him in the brisket, and because I gave him time he easily clotted up. Thoughts?
Basinboy
500 Club

Unread postby Basinboy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Just to have two bucks like that in range is a good hunt. Sorry you didn't get him man. Keep after them...
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 pm

What do you mean, Dan preaches about pushing one lung deer and deer that aren't gut shot? Reference post please

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”