Any Ideas for a fast, light weight way to climb trees?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hoyt

Re: Any Ideas for a fast, light weight way to climb trees?

Unread postby hoyt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:43 am

Fastest and easiest I've ever used was pole climbers and a lightweight loc on. Next to that is what I use now most of the time. Lone Wolf Hand Climber.

kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:46 pm

I have the rope on steps and while they work well, they dont fit the fastest way up the tree catagory. Plus carry a few of them and they are heavy. Sticks are where its at for me. Sounds like your on private ground, why dont you hike in and prep trees with screw ins then all you need is your stand and bow when your ready to hunt. I have a simple tool that allows me to pound on the step to get it started and it doubles as a leverage arm to crank em in or out as needed. Was like $20 online, well worth the money imo.
As for the guy climbing with a rope and 2 sticks, you would have to be in great shape to try that, plus you would have to have several ropes to haul up your stand/bow/backpack. I also gotta believe its rough on your inner thighs to "ride a tree down" like he shows.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Mon May 06, 2013 3:34 am

Lightest way I see people doing it is a mesh tree saddle with a couple of climbing slings and a carabiner. The whole set up weighs about 3 pounds.

Here's a guy going up that way with the guidos web. You can also do it with a tree saddle as well.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDVoQEvQMY

Another guy goes up with a rock climbing aid which is kind of like a ladder. Here's his videos. He's doing it with a tree saddle. This is the way I'm set up right now. Set up is about half a pound more.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xl2or4IFr8

It takes me about 5 minutes to climb 20 feet and I would pretty much be ready to hunt. Add an amerstrap with 3 steps as a platform to stand on and a strap on hanger at head height and that's it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”