Deer Vision

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DropTyne
500 Club

Deer Vision

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:03 am

I have always been under the impression that deer see best in low light conditions ie: Dusk/Dawn, but do not have actual "Night Vision". I was curious if anyone knew for sure that deer can see well in the dark, I do not dispute that I think they can see better in the dark than a human, but I do not think they see that great in the dark. I have been wrong before and I am looking for enlightenment.

DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
PLB
500 Club

Re: Deer Vision

Unread postby PLB » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:35 am

Great question!! I always wondered this myself. Especially nights with no moonlight??

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:14 am

I used to work with raptors so I'm assuming the same applies to deer. Humans have more cones than rods and therefore have good depth perception, but inferior light collection capabilities. Owls are at the other end of the spectrum with more rods than cones and are far superior with light collection and inferior depth perception. The location of the eyes on a deer leads me to believe they are somewhere in the middle, their eyes aren't directly on the front of their heads so their depth perception should be inferior to humans but their light collection capabilities should be much much greater due to their large eye size. Their eyes "glow" when hit with light because their pupils are dialated/absorbing light. I do believe moonlight shares an inverse relationship with day time game activity.(More moon light=less early daytime activity) I always track this when I'm hunting and it's not always proven true, but I do believe it has enough of an influence to make a moon chart a very valuable tool. I'm by no means an expert on the anatomy of the eyeball so if somebody else has better information please share, i'm ok with being wrong.
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 am

The different literature I have read about deer vision supports your belief. They see best during the day just like you and I, but they have much better vision in low light conditions than we do. I don't remember the science, something about the number and shaped of the rods and cones in their eyes. I have not read anything that would suggest they have great night vision. In addition when I am coming out of the woods at dark I can hear deer around me at times and they will often walk toward me as though they think I am a deer. That would not happen during sunlight when they could clearly see me. I agree better low light vision than us but not awesome night vision.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:21 am

http://www.northcountrywhitetails.com/a ... eersee.htm

This link has a lot of information about this exact topic
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 am

metropig wrote:The different literature I have read about deer vision supports your belief. They see best during the day just like you and I, but they have much better vision in low light conditions than we do. I don't remember the science, something about the number and shaped of the rods and cones in their eyes. I have not read anything that would suggest they have great night vision. In addition when I am coming out of the woods at dark I can hear deer around me at times and they will often walk toward me as though they think I am a deer. That would not happen during sunlight when they could clearly see me. I agree better low light vision than us but not awesome night vision.

My exact observations..... When I get hung up in a spot and have to leave after dark I often find that deer hang around or just bump a little out of the way, the only time that I had a deer blow or straight up lose it is when they catch my scent after dark, on the other hand during daylight I have had deer bust me with their eyesight and lose it. Which leads me to believe their eyesight at night is not great.....
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:00 pm

Not sure if they really have bad night vision, or if they just think that other predators do. I know they run wild in the day when they get a visual, but at night many times when I walk out at night ill flip on my light and ill have deer very close that dont react.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:50 pm

I witnessed a buck chase a doe early morning before sun up. They were running full bore and jumping over a rusty 4 wire barbed fence. They made quite a few trips over the fence and did not run into it. It was pitch dark. I could not see them but heard them. I'd say they can see pretty darn well in the dark.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”