How many chances have you got so far

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

How many chances have you got so far

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:46 pm

...not just at big bucks but at deer. I hear a lot of hunters say "I had a 4 pt and 3 does beneath me, but no shooters", or something like that. Sometimes I get frustrated, not this year, even though not seeing a lot of deer or getting a lot of opportunities. I could have shot 2 so far and I took one doe. No other opportunities maybe seen ~20 deer total while hunting all season. Heard a grunt behind me at what I am guessing around 30 yds or less this morning, but no sight of it, so I don't count it.

So how many deer could you have shot this year, be honest. If you want to estimate how many deer you have seen while deer hunting lets hear that too.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Edcyclopedia

Re: How many chances have you got so far

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Seen 15 (within 30 yards and in shooting lanes) so far and could have shot at 8.
Actually one did earn my tag...
Last edited by Edcyclopedia on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
patman

Unread postby patman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm

I've had 10 deer within 35 yards but only had shots at 6 of them.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Ive had 8 deer that I could've arrowed. 6 bucks and 2 does. And total deer seen from stand around 12.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
DropTyne
500 Club

Unread postby DropTyne » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Actually it is funny to me that you asked this question because I was just talking about it with a hunting buddy of mine this weekend. We hunt with a mutual friend that constantly says stuff like "I passed two small 6 pointers tonight" but seeing seer and passing deer is two very different things, I consider anything within 35 yards a passed deer. Honestly I have had seasons where I have only had shot opportunities at a few deer, but this season I can truthfully say that I have passed 10 or more bucks (2 of which were 2-1/2) and 5 or so does. Except for the lack of mature bucks it has been my best year for having deer in range.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:22 pm

I've had 6 deer so far within 30 yards. 30 yards is about as far I will shoot at a deer. 2 does, 3 fawns, 1 buck. I hit a doe at 20 yards and did not recover her in early October.
Last edited by Crazinamatese on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:23 pm

I have seen 16 bucks so far this season and passed on about 10 of them I could have easily killed as they were within 25 yards and in shooting lanes. Many of them were 2.5 year olds but saw a few mature and the other night I screwed up on the only deer I drew back on all season! :doh:

Only saw about a dozen does and fawns this year. Since I started hunting buck beds I rarely see antlerless deer except during the rut. I don't shoot does anymore and haven't since 2007 but had very easy shots on 3 or 4 mature does this year if I did want to kill one.

I pass on a lot of deer just because most of the time I am hunting some really out of the way spots and if I do kill one it would be a major job to get one out so it better be a good buck. I rarely hunt spots that are really easy to get to.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:33 pm

Since opening day have seen maybe 40 deer some may have Been same deer have taken two doe this year have seen 4 bucks all out of range closes one was 40 yards but I don't feel comfortable shooting that far, been kinda a slow season overall

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Bucks -0.
Doe- a few.

BTW, chances dont count.... :P
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm sitting at 15 different bucks since Oct 27th... half were shootable. Two I would consider mature and shooters, both around 140"s as 8pts. I have burned some of my best stuff... Got a few tricks left up my sleeve and a good solid week straight to hunt.

I have enjoyed every minute while on stand.... Lord willing I'm going to hunt almost another two weeks straight!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:35 pm

I have had realistic opportunities about 8 times on does. On bucks I cared to shoot, 1 but there were three other in range that I passed on.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Passed on one 2 year old 8 and a few dinks, some does too. Zero encounters with mature bucks so far, kind of a down year for that. I might only get 2-4 on the public land I hunt but some of my best stuff hasn't produced yet. Hopefully the rut and a few days off will change that.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I have passed two solid bucks a 135 9 pointer and a 125 8 pointer (tonight). I did drop the string on the 10 pointer. So that would be 3 bucks I could have killed up until now. I don't count scrub bucks or does. I have hunted my local area the most and my longest away areas the least. I am still confident I can put another one on the wall this year (it's early yet). Kicked off my season October 6th.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:03 pm

I only count deer that were in range and in a spot I could have killed them had I wanted to. I have shot one doe and a buck, missed two other bucks. I have passed up about 9 or 10 different shots on different does as I was buck hunting. I have yet to see a 1.5 year old since opening night, I passed him at 6 yards but have not seen a 1.5 since.
GregH

Unread postby GregH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm

I have passed on 6 bucks and 2 does so far this season. They ranged from 12 to 22 yards in my shooting lanes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”