Thanks to the Beast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Redman232

Thanks to the Beast

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:22 am

Two years ago I bought a couple dvds that have change outdoor life. Last year a bought a Lonewolf set up and hit the marsh and was able to take a buck that stood up out of his bed. This year I got permission on some ground that around here would be considered hill country. 85% of my hunting ground is relatively flat so I've paid extra close attention to wind current and thermal talk on this web site. Friday evening as I prepared for my first site on this new property, I pulled out a milkweed pod and checked by wind/thermals all the way to the bottom 1/3 or the west facing north/south ridge. With a NW wind I figured may I would catch a good buck cruising the tree line at the bottom of the ridge catching the wind off the corn field and the thermals coming down the hill. Sure enough with an hour of light left, a big deer crosses the river to the north and is coming in exactly like I would have expected him to. Ended up being probably 140 inch 8 pointer, I stopped him at 27 yds. I had a clear shooting lane and I sent a Zwickey howitzer towards him and as I watched the arrow miss low by about an inch I was furious about my decision to hunt solely with a recurve this year. After reflecting for awhile I realized that I have not shot a deer in October for the first time in 10+ years but I have also had now 5 encounters with mature bucks this year with one shot opportunity and I owe almost all of it to the information I've picked up on this website. In years past I would see a ton of deer but not 3 1/2 and older deer. Sorry for being long winded but I just wanted to say thanks to all who share information on here.

Zap

Re: Thanks to the Beast

Unread postby Zap » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:35 am

:mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:41 am

Cool.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:01 am

Sounds like your on the right track! 8-) Keep at it and it's just a matter of time!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:17 am

Good stuff, 232... we'll keep learning from each other, improving tactics and hunting hard... 8-)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 am

8-)
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Good post.

[ Post made via Android ] Image