First shot at a deer = miss (a cool story for me)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

First shot at a deer = miss (a cool story for me)

Unread postby exojam » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:37 am

So I finished my Fort Devens hunt on Saturday. This was a special paralyzed hunt put on by the state of Mass over a 3 day time frame (Thursday through Saturday). We were allowed to use bows, muzzleloaders or shotguns.

So on Thursday morning Norm and I arrived at 5:30 for a 6 o’clock show time. On the way to the location they were placing us we saw a nice buck jumping across the road. I could not tell how many points he had but man did me have a spring in his step and he looked magnificent. Then just a little further down the road we saw two does cruising around. We got to our spot which had recent scrapes, some rubs and deer poop so something had been using this area. We did not see or hear anything until about 5:30 when something let out a big snort from behind. I am not sure if that deer was pissed we were in his lane or if he was just telling us that he smelt us and then he was gone (we did not even get to see him).

On Friday I spent the day out there by myself and did not see or hear anything. This was a different location than the one on Thursday. I could not use the original location due to military ops taking place. This spot was in a grass field which they had does running in and eating since they stated the acorn drops were not that plentiful this year.

On Saturday Mike came out with me and they placed us on a dirt road that had an old gas line coming through so the wood had an open trail section the deer had been using to travel. We saw three does on the way out to the spot. I think around 9 o’clock we heard a branch snap behind us and I spotted a deer about 10 yards behind the blind. As I turned my wheelchair to have a shot out of one of the windows one of my wheels dropped off the wood floor and made a load noise. I am not sure how much that spooked her but she come out about 36 yards away from us. As she walked across the road Mike “bleeped” her and she stopped in her tracks. I drew back and let it fly. Problem was, in my excitement to see where the arrow went I dropped my bow arm and the arrow went right underneath her. I was just so bummed, it was beyond words. This was not a deer probably any of you would have shot at but for me she would have been a trophy deer.

After about 20 minutes Mike went to find the arrow and we were both out of the blind. As he was about 100 yards away from me a 4 pointer came onto the road. Mike hit the dirt and the deer did not see him even as he looked down towards us. After he left the road Mike slowly got back up to see where he may be going and another 4 pointer jumped out from behind him and busted him. This took both bucks in a direction away from us.

So I did not make my first shot but man that whole three days was great. I finally got to see a deer to shot at and also other deer out in the woods.

So I do want to thank the following people for helping me to be able to hunt and have my first true hunting story.
The folks at Mass Fish and Wildlife
The volunteer’s from the Shirley Rod and Gun club
Mike and Norm from the Westford Rod and Gun club

I just cannot say enough about how much fun I had even though they were long and somewhat cold days. I needed to be up at 4 and did not come home until about 7 each day.

James

James
500 Club

Re: First shot at a deer = miss (a cool story for me)

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:22 am

That's a great experience my friend. I missed several deer before connecting on my first with a bow; nothing wrong with that. It's all part of the hobby.

Good luck on your next hunt.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:03 am

Awesome, keep at it and hopefully you get a chance to redeem yourself. Any first deer is a trophy, especially in your first year hunting!!!!!!! I doubt there are many people on here that killed a deer in their first year hunting, unless they were older and got set up on good property. It's all a learning process you can should be really proud of all you have done/learned already this year and you still got time left in the season!!
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 am

Great story, thanks for sharing. You'll connect next time.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 am

Cool story , Good Luck.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:13 am

I loved the story and could hear the excitment in your words!
Way cool!!!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BGHUNTER
Facebook: bgrangerhunter@live.com

Unread postby BGHUNTER » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 am

cool story thanks for sharing.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:39 am

Its a cool story for me to.Good Luck the rest of the year...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:51 am

Great first hunt! Keep at it!
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:58 am

Its not about the kill, its about the adventure... Sounds like a great hunt! 8-)
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:27 am

congratulations on your first hunting story James. Very few of us connected on our first time out. I am in that camp as well. A big tip of the hat to you and look forward to many more hunting stories from you
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:05 pm

Awesome, great hunt you will get one next time.
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:54 pm

Great story! Im sure alot of us would have taken a shot at her not just you! The miss will only make your first kill that much sweeter!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I have to say even though I did not get a kill being able to see that buck just flat out soaring in his jump was just flat out cool.

James

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”