Rut hunting question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

admiral04

Rut hunting question

Unread postby admiral04 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 am

Now that the rut is here, when u guys start hunting funnels etc. do you hunt a spot for a day and move onto the next one or do you stick with a spot for the duration?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Rut hunting question

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:31 am

Switching of unproductive sets needs to happen IMO. You are still putting scent down and deer are still deer, in that they are going to avoid places full of hunter stink. The bucks maybe running around more this time of year, but I think that you still need to be cautious about your sets.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 am

It all depends on the circumstances. If you are hunting large tracts of ground move around. If you are hunting small parcels stay put for the day.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:40 am

All depends on how much confidence I have in the spot compared to other spots. It also depends on how much deer activity is in the area. I don't worry too much about rut sign, I'm more worried about overall deer sign. Don't base your decesion based on rubs & scrapes, a lot of times those aren't found in funnel/pinch/ doe bedding areas, it sure doesn't hurt the confidence to have some sign of a big buck though. Another factor for how much to hunt a spot is how intrusive it is to hunt. Some spots are minimal impact & can be hunted several times without messing things up much, others not so much. If you blow all the does/deer out of the area chances are mister big won't show up looking for love!!

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
SouthernHunter

Unread postby SouthernHunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:23 am

I agree. It depends on the setup. If a spot is easy to access and the wind is right I will keep hunting as long as there's action. Sometimes during the rut you can even get away with getting busted. I've hunted my "rut honey hole" several days in a row and still see action even after getting busted. I have had the same bucks I busted the day before continue on the next day like nothing happened. This is not always the case though. Changing up will never hurt but I wouldn't sweat it to bad during the rut.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”