Have you killed a buck that you rattled in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Have you killed a buck that you rattled in?

Yes, I've killed a 3 year old or better by rattling
29%
Yes, I've killed a 2 year old or younger by rattling
13%
No kills or you don't rattle
58%

Total votes: 77
wmihunter

Re: Have you killed a buck that you rattled in?

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 pm

My buddy just rattled in a big 10 pt in ks and killed it. Probably mid 140's

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:42 pm

I don't like rattle bags, they don't sound right, neither do the plastic horns or the knight and hale rack pack things. I use authentic sheds, about a 120-125" class set.

I've heard a lot of buck fights and I try to use antlers that give off that "right sound". To me, the tips of the antlers I use give that authentic sound that I have heard. I've seen people cut off the tips and i think that is somewhat of a mistake. Like Muddy mentioned I also pay attention to my cadence when rattling.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:56 am

muddy wrote:
Some people may never realize it but they rattle with a specific cadence and never change it, much like turkey calling. I pay special attention to every sequence I do and make sure it's always different. Slow grinding of the antlers, grunting and growling before/during/after the rattling, hard/soft clashes, etc. I never do it the same way twice.

This is very true. Of the handful of buck fights I have witnessed, none of them were like the typical 'clack, clack, clack' of an average hunters' rattling sequence.

I have had limited success rattling in good, 3.5+ y.o. bucks. I hunt half and half public and private that gets moderate but not heavy pressure. I don't do it very often, and in fact I have been most successful with it drawing in mature bucks in the early season with a very light sparing sequence right next to their bed rooms.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:49 am

JoeRE wrote:...and in fact I have been most successful with it drawing in mature bucks in the early season with a very light sparing sequence right next to their bed rooms.

I've always wanted to try this but never had the guts. I've heard SO much early season sparring. I killed my early season MN buck this year just minutes after it was sparring with another buck. Guess I didn't need to rattle to kill it but I like the tactic.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:34 am

James wrote:I don't like rattle bags, they don't sound right, neither do the plastic horns or the knight and hale rack pack things. I use authentic sheds, about a 120-125" class set.

I've heard a lot of buck fights and I try to use antlers that give off that "right sound". To me, the tips of the antlers I use give that authentic sound that I have heard. I've seen people cut off the tips and i think that is somewhat of a mistake. Like Muddy mentioned I also pay attention to my cadence when rattling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAgiE_o ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWFDDg_ ... re=related
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 am

[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAgiE_o6ow&feature=related[/bbvideo]
[bbvideo=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWFDDg_EmM&feature=related[/bbvideo]
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 am

I rattled a big one in this past fall, but I couldn't get a shot. I'm pretty sure he locked onto my location in the tree and wouldn't have come in anyways.
keb
500 Club

Unread postby keb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 am

I have never tried, nor will I probabbly , I have snort wheezed in bucks, this past year the big buck I shot was out of range, he would not even look at a grunt call, snort wheeze and he came right in. If I had the right un pressured place I might try it.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:28 pm

I've never tried it and it's doubtful that I will in the areas that I hunt. I sat in my stand last fall and listened to someone across the river rattling and grunting. I remember laughing to myself at how fake it sounded. Maybe if I heard it done and saw a buck come in I'd change my mind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
gogebicbuckslayer

Unread postby gogebicbuckslayer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Ive rattled in small bucks to a decoy the past few years, the only luck I have had with mature deer calling is the snort wheeze and buck growl if you can beleive it. Snort wheezed a nice 3 year old off a doe in a thicket he came to 10 yards I shot and hit a branch and missed. He went back to chasing the doe so I growled obnoxiously and he came back I figured dead buck.... Nope this time he jumped my string on full alert?? I about cried in the tree, my buddy's still give me a hard time about that buck lol. Now I always aim low regardless of situation.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”