Have you killed a buck that you rattled in?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Yes, I've killed a 3 year old or better by rattling
29%
Yes, I've killed a 2 year old or younger by rattling
13%
No kills or you don't rattle
58%

Total votes: 77
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:24 pm

I think we've shared quite a bit of information on when to rattle. Those who believe in rattling and close encounters. However, lets take a poll on how many hunters here have killed a buck that can attributed to rattling?

I rattled 15 minutes before killing my WI buck this year. Not quite close enough to attribute it 100% but he did walk within 11 yards. In 2009 I can positively say I killed my buck that year due to rattling. Came in well under a minute after an intense sequence.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Have you killed a buck that you rattled in?

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Have never rattled one in. I'm more about stealth than giving up my position. Just me though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Never had luck rattling. I've grunted in bucks that were out of range. Never blind call much.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Stanley wrote:Have never rattled one in. I'm more about stealth than giving up my position. Just me though.

Same here

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:52 pm

Never rattled one in.

[ Post made via iPod ] Image
Dabowhunter

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Rattiled. In and. Killed my biggest to date ( 174 ). A. Doe. Smelled my entry path . She blew and ran into his bedding area. He grunted so I gave him a rattle so he would think that's what spooked the doe. worked

Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:06 pm

rattling has never worked for me. I quit doing it.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:34 pm

I rattled a nice 8 point 2 years ago and he came in at 15 yards. I couldn't pull on him because he had about a 15-16 inch spread and looked a 2.5, but he was tall and would've scored a nice 115-120. Since then I haven't had a buck that close. It gets down right frustrating when all the best days you can hunt the conditions suck, and when the conditions suck hunting ain't worth a lick.
JML2

Unread postby JML2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

I killed a buck this Saturday that came into rattling. I don't usually do much rattling but this buck passed by just out of range and was heading away so I thought it was worth a shot. I gave a light rattling sequence and he turned around. I grunted and rattled lightly several times to keep his attention. He made a big circle and tried to get down wind of me. I haven't had any one look at his teeth yet but he is an older buck-dressed out at 225.

I have killed a couple other bucks that came in to rattling but I usually never call blind. Just use it when I figure the buck is not going to come in on his own.

U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Can be deadly at the right time of year. Rattled in and killed a 160 few years ago oct 26th blind calling.

Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm

I have tried it, never had any luck. I have used real antlers, rattle bags, synthetic antlers, you name it. I am very close to eliminating the rattle bag all together, plus like Stanley says you are giving up your position for sure. I have grunted deer in however.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:38 pm

I rarely ever rattle. I've only rattled in and killed one deer, a 100 inch or so 2.5 year old on public land.

Also, I almost rattled in and killed a whopper of a buck in 2008. The entire area had been closed for hunting the entire month of October when it opened up around October 25th. I had scouted my rear end off over a two year period and established a pattern on a buck. After conferring with Autumn Ninja, I decided on a stand placement based on the wind and time of year when I slipped in during late October. I decided to be aggressive since the area had not received pressure and I did not know when or if it would close back down for good. I got into the stand around 2pm and then rattled like heck 30 minutes later. A monster 10 pointer around 130-140 inches came running up the ravine right where Autumn Ninja predicted he would be bedded and started circling me up the terrain. I had shot opportunities that were ok, but was waiting for the perfect shot when that monster circled high enough on the terrain to catch my thermals. He literally only had to walk another two yards for a clean broadside shot when he stopped on a dime, started walking backwards, then blew out of there like a freight train. I never saw that buck again.
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:30 am

Never in New York. In Idaho I have rattled bucks in. Mostly 2.5 year olds.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 am

James are you rattling more in October, during the pre-rut? Or do find it effective throughout October and November?

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:11 am

Late October is about it for me. The conditions and location are key. Here are the elements I need to rattle, and I need all of these to even bother:

1. Unpressured property - or at least a property that has a balanced herd and good competition for doe. If you've never heard a buck fight then its probably not a great spot.
2. I have to be able to see a long ways. I don't want a buck circling me and I want to see them coming. I think rattling in thick cover would be a mistake.
3. Timing. I usually wait until I think I should have already seen deer if I am going to blind rattle. No specific formula to timing but usually when I'm confident a mature buck should be comfortable leaving their bed.

Please note!! don't interpret my message here as some key tactic for killing bucks. I tried to remember how many rattling sequences I tried this year. I think 2 different sits and 3 sequences between those 2 sits. So the translation is that this is a very limited tactic for me, but since I have had luck killing mature bucks by rattling it is something I will employ at the right time probably every year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”