Access trail by foot or four-wheeler?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buck N Nuts

Access trail by foot or four-wheeler?

Unread postby Buck N Nuts » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:14 am

I have been having a disagreement with my buddy over stand access. He thinks driving a four-wheeler does not leave a scent trail and it is the ticket for stand access. I said there is still a scent trail and rubber boots or rubber tires what's the difference. Don't get me wrong on a long distance hunting spot I like to use a four wheeler for some of the distance. What is your thoughts and experiences?

Crazinamatese

Re: Access trail by foot or four-wheeler?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:44 am

Here is my take from experience growing up on a big farm. If that trail is frequently used year round by ATV's, trucks, tractors, it will leave a scent trail from the exhaust, and or any leaking fluids. But, it really shouldn't bother the deer because deer know vehicles use those routes, thats where they expect them to be. If they know a vehicle is coming, they will move a little ways from the trail and wait until you go by. But they wouldn't fly outta there like its the plague. The same logging roads we used to drive on would have scrape lines during corn or bean harvest. Walking quietly to the stand on those trails, the deer didn't tolerate it and would spook out of there quick. They are weird creatures. Ever try the idea of using a mountain bike?
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:51 am

Walking is always better, you can hunt as you walk.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:13 am

Four wheeler, no question about it in my mind. Deer will just stand there or stay bedded as four wheelers/tractors,etc drive by. On foot, you are leaving human scent and scaring them out of the country.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:47 am

My vote would be for walking...you see SO much more on foot anyway. Deer can tell the difference between farm equipment and a four wheeler headed to a hunting spot better than most think in my opinion unless you are literally driving on a farm lane, and only on the farm lane, that gets lots of traffic.

A couple weeks ago I was sitting on a stand when I head the buzz of a four wheeler across a big draw on the neighboring property 400 yards away. The crops were out and from knowing the landowner I knew it was a hunter headed to his stand. About 5 minutes later hear came a doe and young one, trotting up out of the draw past me and away from him...then came a big doe, then came a basket rack. I am pretty sure that was all the deer in the woods between him and I.

I shot my first nice buck as a teenager in a similar situation when a good 8 point came trotting down by me 10 minutes after a four wheeler buzzed by along a ridge that I was at the bottom of.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:36 am

I have and always will walk. My family farm has an easement running through it, this road is used frequently by the farmer's tractor and the neighbors that have access via 4 wheeler. I bet their opinion is that it does not bother deer.

I have been in my treestand a couple hundred yards away and watched as deer came flying by due to the wheeler. I've been in carts and trucks on the road when seemingly deer had no reaction. So I can see where the logic is, however from 20+ years of experience hunting this farm I can tell you it's better off without the traffic.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
GregH

Unread postby GregH » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:33 pm

I have a utv and a tractor both of which spend a good deal of time in my woods. I own 45 acres with 42 being woods. I cleared out 1/3 of an acre of woods for a food plot this year and collected every bit of firewood in the process. When I use the utv the deer flee. When I use the tractor they just hang around. I have pics on my trail cam of a doe and fawn drinking out of my water hole 60 yards from me when I was pushing over trees with my tractor and cutting them up. Also, about a month ago, my water hole dried up. So I took a couple trips with two 55 gallon barrels of water strapped in the bucket of my tractor and poured it in the water hole. On my second trip a doe and fawn were milling about 40 yards from me watching me do this. According to the trail cam they were drinking the water 10 minutes later.

Bottom line..... I walk to all my stands. No 4-wheeler.

However, I may consider taking the tractor. (j/k) I have started taking the tractor when checking my cams. We'll see how that works.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I would walk.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
U.P. MAN
500 Club

Unread postby U.P. MAN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:28 pm

I walk as well. Sometimes wish i believed a Wheeler wouldn't scare them! : )

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”