Gut piles and deer reactions.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Gut piles and deer reactions.

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:41 am

I Killed a buck and drug him away from where I killed him and then gutted him. I never leave a gut pile where I am hunting, or might hunt, at a later date. Anyway, I was doing some glassing in the evening. I observed 3 different doe groups. They all traveled down wind of the gut pile about 125 yards away. When the mama doe got wind of the gut pile she would go on full alert. She would start fidgeting and eventually tailed up and ran back to where she came. I watched 3 groups do this, all the same negative reaction. So when someone tells you deer ignore gut piles that is not always the case. I have watched mature bucks turn inside out when they got down wind of a gut pile. Guts piles = lots of human scent, coyotes, crows squawking, all of the things you don't want around a hunting area.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BCam

Re: Gut piles and deer reactions.

Unread postby BCam » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:17 am

I agree. The only time i have seen it done successfully is when it was from a hot doe... There was no tactic or thought process involved, the hunters just got lucky as heck to make long story short.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:56 am

whoops! Thanks for the intail Stan.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I have had a lot of deer actually check out gut piles. Really weird. I shot a doe last Sunday and drug her to the river bank to gut her out. We hunted the same area Friday and the whole area was covered in deer tracks? I like to get the guts out of my hunting are because coyotes usually take over the place.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”