Fully convinced with going without any scent control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Fully convinced with going without any scent control

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:25 pm

GRUD wrote:Scent Control is controlling where your scent goes, not trying to eliminate it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That's the truth!

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:36 pm

The buck I shot this year was downwind I didnt use any scent control. The milweeds went over him just enough.

I got a good laugh when you talked about putting clothes on b4 the hunt being in boxers in 25 degrees or less. Been there done that! :lol:

I remember one time I was in pants with no shirt or socks on and a guy pulled over to ask if I was ok....awkward moment. :lol:
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:07 pm

I was once super crazy about scent control. Not so much anymore and I still see deer, and sometimes get busted only when they get directly downwind of me. Most of the time, a deer won't even catch my scent until they are within 15 yards. By that time, I have a pin on them, or I watch them walk away. All that hype in buying sprays and clothes is too much to handle these days. I still keep my stuff in a plastic tub though. I only wash my stuff with baking soda and cold water in the sink at least twice a year. Baking soda is cheap, and it works to kill odors. When I lived in the countryside I just let my clothes hang in the woodlot behind my place and air out. Can't do that now, I live in a big town. If I can smell body odor in my clothes, its time to clean. Other than that, I try to minimize perspiration as much as I can. I hate sweating while hunting, and I hate being cold too. I like to feel fresh and comfortable, and with being fresh and comfortable in the stand, my morale is high and I maintain a positive attitude, which leads to success.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Reflex011

Unread postby Reflex011 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm on my way as well! Did an all dayer yesterday on public. Bout 1130 my stomach said with ya, FEED ME! Soo I grabbed fir my lunch, a slice of cold pizza. At that exact moment a heard a branch break straight down wind. A solo doe 60 yds away took a couple bounds and walked parallel to me not even looking my way. Maybe next time ill try pepperoni instead of sausage and mushrooms! It was just the luck of the draw she came out there. Win some, lose some! I decided to relocate to a creek bottom 200yds away that is tore up with sign and as I was climbing I heard a buck grunting coming up the creek. bow still on the ground he was east of the creek and me by 40yds in the cedars. Too thick to see. He walked up and down that snorting, grunting, and breathing heavy. After things settled and I was ready I bleated and not a minute later he came storming back breaking ever branch in his way. Never got him to cross or show his face. Nice noon encounter tho!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
[glow=red]Aim Small. Miss Small.[/glow]
Scot
500 Club

Unread postby Scot » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:22 am

I am much more casual about it these days.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:34 am

Getting busted numerous times by mature bucks when I was a full blown scent control nutcase did it for me. Since then there have been many times where I have had deer down wind when I was all stinky, if I was scent free I would have thought that it worked, just glad I know otherwise.

To put it all in perspective I was hunting from the ground one time and had a two year old 8 head bobbing me at 10 feet, he gave me a good look but casually moved on. I kept an eye on him and eventually I got downwind of me 150 yards away, blew once and was gone. The wind in your favor can do amazing things.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 am

Got busted yesterday for the first time this season that I know of.......too bad it was it shooter buck!! :cry:

Guess I shoulda been wearing Scent Lok! :mrgreen:
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:42 am

Its gonna hurt to admit this, but there was a time when I even gave up eating meat for several months prior to season. I stopped wearing any colon, no spicey foods, showering with the fancy soaps, clothes in bins, spraying down, etc. Play the wind is the answer and sometimes deer wont follow the script and end up down wind. There is no fooling him to think your further away then you really are. Also every deer will react different to your scent. I recall my brother in law telling me about a hunt he had where his clothes were soaked from spraying down "in his stand" every 10min. :shock: :lol:
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:48 am

Dewey wrote:Got busted yesterday for the first time this season that I know of.......too bad it was it shooter buck!! :cry:

If I remember right about 5 years ago those scent lok suits were hundreds of dollars.

My cousin bought one and then thought it was so great and spectacular then tried to sell it to me after 2 years. :roll:
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:50 am

I haven't washed my hunting clothes since mid-season last year. Two weeks ago, I bought some scent free laundry soap, but they haven't needed washed yet. They hang in the kitchen, cooking a couple of apple pies right now before heading out for the evening hunt. :D
bbahunter

Unread postby bbahunter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:48 am

I have mellowed out on scent control the last couple years. I still hunt with the wind in my face, but don't go to extremes like i used to on scent control. I still see and kill my share of deer. How many guys have you heard about smoking a cigar in the stand, and still bagged a good deer? :shock:
Pope and Young Associate Member
Massachusetts Bowhunters Life Member
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't do anything to try & control my scent anymore, just where it goes. i used to be the guy who stripped down in the cold and sprayed everything down as I put it on. Amazing how much time and $$$$ you can spend on nothing.

I was in a camp this weekend though with several guys and it's amazing how many of them are very anal and think I'm stupid for not caring about it. Funny thing is, guess who killed the only deer, me :dance:

One of the guys was talking about washing all the bedding in scent-free soap so he wouldn't get that smell on him. After I killed my deer he was rubbing all his clothes on it so they smelled like deer dander, :clap: just when i thought I heard it all.
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
blackwolf
500 Club

Unread postby blackwolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Took my buck this year after tent camping 4 days, no shower, used wet wipes once; I did not smell very good! I just play the wind careful! I was do for trip to town for motel and shower, but went home with buck instead.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:22 pm

BigHills BuckHunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:Got busted yesterday for the first time this season that I know of.......too bad it was it shooter buck!! :cry:

If I remember right about 5 years ago those scent lok suits were hundreds of dollars.

My cousin bought one and then thought it was so great and spectacular then tried to sell it to me after 2 years. :roll:

Cripes, those suits are still freakin expensive. I don't know how the retailers even sell them. I guess people do buy that stuff still. I bought a full scentlok outfit long before the law suit a few years ago. I was naive to believe in the theories about scent containment. Little did I know those suits are nothing more than a standard military issue chemical suit which is called a MOPP suit. The charcoal in the MOPP suit neutralizes chemicals and biological agents and is worthless after 23 days of real time exposure to the elements. Scent blocker and scentlok say you can "revitalize" the carbon in these suits by throwing them into a dryer and they will be good as new. BS! if thats the case, then the military would never have to dispose their MOPP suits during war time. Just bring in some dryers and get them good as new. Right? Throwing anything you use for hunting into a washing machine or dryer just sounds like a complete fail to me. Makes you think if some anti hunting company is actually behind some of these ideas.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:45 pm

I wash my clothes in baking soda. I ran out of baking soda so I washed my hunting clothes in OxyClean. It has some scent to it but oh well. Years ago I would have never done that, but these days as long as my clothes don't reek of BO, then I am ok. We will see what the deer think tomorrow morning.

KILL!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”