Dive back in there or wait a while?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

Dive back in there or wait a while?

Unread postby woody-san » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am

I went into an area blind this morning due to finding big, fresh tracks on its fringes. Based on the wind, I picked out a spot, via aerial photos, that looked like a good position to ambush that big buck. I theorized he probably had a scrape line atop this skinny ridge so I set up as to be able to shoot to the ridge. I sat all morning with plans of sitting until noon. At 11:15 I decided my tree wasn't really that great, so about 15 min later, I got down to go scout. At 11:45, I'm packing up my stand when I hear a wheeze and two loud bounds. I looked around but couldn't seem to find the white flag. I walked to the ridgetop to get a better view and no white flag. Then I looked down and at my feet was a large bed, with hair and a 4 finger track. I had inadvertently found this buck's bed. I walked around a bit more and found a very fresh scrape line, as I had guessed there would be. Tomorrow I have the same wind and the moon keeping him out later in the AM. I'm thinking I need to sit that bed tomorrow morning. Seems like I did an accidental bump n dump. Would you guys sit that spot tomorrow?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Remington guy

Re: Dive back in there or wait a while?

Unread postby Remington guy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:58 am

Personally I would but that's just me

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:32 am

Dive back in!
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Give it a shot...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:33 pm

Dont think you can hurt anything at this point

I would have to go for it...maybe just maybe he will walk right back in there for you. Good luck
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:01 am

Sorry for the delayed response on this one...I sat the spot, but he didn't come back. Oh, well...no regrets, I believe it was the right move. I'll leave it lay until Thanksgiving week and then scout for his tracks. If they show up again, I'll get back in there.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:20 am

You tried and that is hunting. Good luck
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:46 am

Stanley wrote:You tried and that is hunting. Good luck

You hit the nail on the head, it's all about reading the sign and giving it your best try. This season, more than any other, I'm realizing what a mental chess game it is to try and put down a mature buck on public land. Whether I fill that buck tag or not, I know I'm becomming a better hunter this year and I'm having a blast doing it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”