Bucks Cruising question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Bucks Cruising question

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:47 am

Something I have been curious about, I was hoping some of you guys could share some thoughts about.

When the bucks begin to cruise around, I normally see the younger guys out getting things started. Then there will come a time during the pre-rut when you see the 2.5 y/o buck on their feet making their rounds.

1) What stage of the rut do the more mature bucks begin cruising? Does it take an actual hot doe in their core area to get them out crusing around?

2) During the cruising stage of a more mature buck (3.5+) Do you think he leaves his core area for days at a time searching?

I am curious how he does this from your observations. Will he bed down to rest, and when he does this will he still depend on bedding points for security? Anything you want to share on the stage of a mature buck cruisin I would appreciate.

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Bucks Cruising question

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:00 am

backstraps wrote:Something I have been curious about, I was hoping some of you guys could share some thoughts about.

When the bucks begin to cruise around, I normally see the younger guys out getting things started. Then there will come a time during the pre-rut when you see the 2.5 y/o buck on their feet making their rounds.

1) What stage of the rut do the more mature bucks begin cruising? Does it take an actual hot doe in their core area to get them out crusing around?

2) During the cruising stage of a more mature buck (3.5+) Do you think he leaves his core area for days at a time searching?

I am curious how he does this from your observations. Will he bed down to rest, and when he does this will he still depend on bedding points for security? Anything you want to share on the stage of a mature buck cruisin I would appreciate.

from what I see... and I dont knock big ones down much, it young guns are out harrassing does... bed with them, follwoe ect and cruisw with nose down... a few days, or week later I notice BIG bucks crossing roads, on trail cams in daylight, and thats when they could be anywhere.

I saw 2 dead young bucks, and 2 cruising nose down young bucks this morning on my way tow ork... so next week is when Ill hunt HARD - aka missing work :D
You can't kill em on the couch
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 am

The past few years I have had shooters on my trail cams on the 9th through the 11th in broad daylight, but this is in SW Wisconsin, not sure how much that varies to where you are.....
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:24 am

dreaming bucks wrote:The past few years I have had shooters on my trail cams on the 9th through the 11th in broad daylight, but this is in SW Wisconsin, not sure how much that varies to where you are.....

thats close to me also... im in MD, but the dates are the dates. last season 3 of us missed/killed mature deer on i beleive the 16th.

whenever the rut in your area... remeber.. the 2nd rut no matter what WILL BE 30 days after. thats the "womens" cycle. good luck!
You can't kill em on the couch
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:34 am

I am curious though, does it seem like once the younger bucks have been cruising marking up the woods for a couple weeks, the 3.5+ start making their presence?

It seems like the pass few years when I have started paying closer attention, the young guys have been cruising around, rubbing and scraping literally weeks before a mature bucks starts to even cruise around.

Do the more mature guys wait until they actually get the smell of estrous in their noses before they begin the game?
Are the younger guys beginning so early due to the changes within their own bodies?
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 am

dreaming bucks wrote:The past few years I have had shooters on my trail cams on the 9th through the 11th in broad daylight, but this is in SW Wisconsin, not sure how much that varies to where you are.....

X2 for NE.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:03 am

backstraps wrote:I am curious though, does it seem like once the younger bucks have been cruising marking up the woods for a couple weeks, the 3.5+ start making their presence?

It seems like the pass few years when I have started paying closer attention, the young guys have been cruising around, rubbing and scraping literally weeks before a mature bucks starts to even cruise around.

Do the more mature guys wait until they actually get the smell of estrous in their noses before they begin the game?
Are the younger guys beginning so early due to the changes within their own bodies?

I'm not sure what it is, but it just seems like the big boys know when it's time... according to that map someone posted a couple weeks back of the average conception dates, the date for WI was Nov 15th, so that would make sense to me anyway.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:43 am

What I have seen is there is a distinct difference in the 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 year olds cruising and harassing does and the older 4.5 year old bucks doing the same. I noticed other people are noting that the 3.5 year olds take longer to get to their feet too, that probably depends some on the area. I have observed they get up and move about the same time as the 2 year olds.

This year, strangely, I have seem mature, 4.5+ year old bucks up on their feet for the past week. usually they are up about a week later than the heavy chasing by the 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5 year olds...so, you never know I guess :think:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”