Accountability: Ohio

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phade
500 Club

Accountability: Ohio

Unread postby phade » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 am

Been debating on posting this, but opted to do so.

I arrowed one of my two target bucks opening day here in NY. Because of that, my stand time has been minimal. I have 6 hours total sit time thus far and my weekends filled up fast once the old lady knew the tag was punched. I'm tweaking from the lack of hunting and it's my last day at work before my Ohio trip. I'm actually off two of the next three weeks. A week in Ohio for bow and then I'll be off for the first week of firearms for the first time in 5+ years here in NY.

Anyhow, I have three goals to accomplish in Ohio. I was able to meet my goals in NY this season - but Ohio has a bit more of an importance IMO.

1. Have fun/Be safe.
2. Create one solid shot opportunity for my FIL.
3. Arrow something 120s or better.

FIL, and I love him like my own father, is Elmer Fudd. I mean, he tries like the dickens as a gun hunter. He just never sees/kills deer. Admittedly, I am much more skilled than he is at hunting, but he loves it just as much. He won't tell me when the last time he shot a deer was, but let's say that I know it has been 10+ years at minimum. I've taken him out a bunch the last few years, and his luck is non-existant. Places I kill multiple does a year result in nada for him. Getting him a deer has been one of MY goals for the past two seasons. It has not happened yet, and I honestly feel like I've dropped the ball somehow despite my best efforts.

His birthday is in April, and I bought him an crossbow and let him know I am taking him to Ohio. NY does not allow xbow in archery. Talk about excitement. He is 64, and I can honestly say after his summer of practice, he's deadly out to 30-35 yards with that thing.

I'm super agressive when out of state, and he's not physically able to do the same at that age and inexperience level in archery. Thus, I'll be the one making changes to my style to accomodate him, as it should be. At his age, I don't think he's got too many "serious" seasons left before his shooting skill sets diminish and his seat time starts going down.

If I can legitamately get him to be able to scope and pull the trigger on [glow=red]ANY[/glow]deer this week, I'll consider the trip a success. I'm going to make it happen. I can't pull the trigger for him, but I can put him where he needs to be to do so.

He's going to get the better spots - and because of that, I am tempering my own goal/expectation of something in the 120s. I usually see a few 120s there, and the 130 mark on the ground I hunt seems to be the realistic "normal" goal that I carry.

I'll update the thread as the week progresses. We leave tomorrow and will be hunting Sunday.

http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
kenn1320
500 Club

Re: Accountability: Ohio

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:31 am

Sounds like he could be just as lucky as me. :lol: Seriously have you ever sat with him during a hunt? Maybe he does see deer and either screws up, or just doesnt want to kill one. Maybe he is a sleeper? Its awesome you are going out of your way to help him find success, its what we all should do when the opportunity presents itself.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:55 am

Sounds like the time spent with you hunting means more to him than killing a deer.Looks like hes put forth the effort and time on becomeing a good shot with the X-BOW.Hope you put him on a good one.If you dont ,dont show your frustration he will sense it. Just go and enjoy your time with him.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:35 am

I know a few "Elmer's" myself... Just remember, hunting is more important than killing... Just have fun.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:17 am

I always wanted to hunt with my grandpa. He's 95 now and a little past his prime. He still gets a license every year. Sits in the truck for the first hour on opening day and calls it a season. By that time grandmas got breakfast ready. Lol. The best part is getting back to the house when I get done hunting and tell him what happened. I've tried getting my brother and a couple other people into deer hunting but they really lack patience. Id much rather get someone else hooked on hunting instead of shooting something myself.
Good luck to you and your FIL hope you get some monsters.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Good luck to you and your father in law phade.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
ttsbuck
500 Club

Unread postby ttsbuck » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:08 pm

Phade I think helping out your FIL like you are is fantastic . I hope he is successful.
jlh42581
500 Club

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:23 am

You certainly didnt miss anything last week in ohio. Id say you should probably see good movement this week as the weather pushes out.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:30 am

On my cell but wrapping up. Fil admitted earlier this week that it has been 40 yrs since his last deer. The year he got married. Today, he can say its been about 30 hours since he shot his last deer. A nice doe at 20 yds.

My action was decent and had a legit chance at a 140 get messed up by a hunter not supposed to be there.

Farmer asked if he combined a large corn field bordering property if wed burn our buck tag on anything last night, which was our last hunt. I agreed as the owner has been absolutely wonderful. Had a 2.5 7 come out as the combine left and plugged him just after working a scrape on the edge of the field. Would have loved a 3.5+ but cant be upset at the good week.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Sounds like a great week hunting to me! 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”