I am looking at this wrong

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

I am looking at this wrong

Unread postby Brad » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:03 pm

This should be simple but I insist on making it hard or so it seems. Here is my problem, the wind seems to always be out of the northwest and I really struggle to hunt this spot on that wind, I am always afraid of my wind blowing to the right and cutting off one complete direction. This place has a fair number of bucks and I am afraid to screw up and instead I am wasting valuable time.

http://s1102.photobucket.com/albums/g45 ... re33-2.png

Here is the land, am I right by being afraid to hunt this on a northwest wind?

The red I can't hunt, neon green is logging road and 4 wheeler trails, gray areas are known bedding areas (buck and does) and the copper dots are where bucks have been killed. All I can come up with is the bottom left piece without any mark up for a west wind, but even it wont really work on a northwest wind I don't think.

maybe I just need to dive in and not be afriad to make mistakes and cut off everything down wind of me, but I keep telling myself thats wrong to do.

James
500 Club

Re: I am looking at this wrong

Unread postby James » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:24 pm

Brad, I'd be trying the two spots I annotated with arrows here. This will be the leeward side of the hill with a NW wind. It also is a better location IMO as the woods are running east and west here rather than the dead end fingers. I think you'll get better travel through this east/west line. Hopefully you can sit high up enough on the saddle that you'll get a clean wind that pulls your wind out. Hill country is fickle and you really need to dive in and see exactly how a specific wind routes in your woods.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: I am looking at this wrong

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:59 am

I think James gave you some pretty good advice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”