How long does a buck get locked down with a doe ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

How long does a buck get locked down with a doe ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 am

Does anybody know ? Is it 24 hrs, 2 days ?

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: How long does a buck get locked down with a doe ?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 am

Magazines have told me about 48 hours but then again not sure if thats a reliable source.
Sweet Shot 7
500 Club

Unread postby Sweet Shot 7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:40 am

Iv heard 72 hours
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:42 am

Ok, I just googled it, & found an article by charles alsheimer that says....... the first 24 hrs a buck stays by the doe because she smells ready, but is not, then the second 24 hrs she is ready, & lets the buck breed her multiple times, but then the buck hangs with her 24 more hr's just because she still smells right, but there is no breeding during this time..... so, he claims 3 full days.....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:07 am

I think it is much less. The 72 hour deal was pretty consensus even 10 years ago, but recent research has shown the average to be noticeably lower and many instances where the buck will stay with her for only a few hours total despite breeding her.

Our B:D ratio is pretty slim in wNY compared to many midwest states, yet our conception rate is very high. The basic math shows that the 72 hour average is unlikely given that 80% of the does will fall into breeding state in a slim time period.

I also think partially supports this is the fact that many twins and triplets can have multiple parentage (bucks)...sometimes that doe is bred by two, three, or four bucks in that period. Certainly some of that is from the peak of the breeding behavior where a subordinate buck sneaks in while the larger buck is chasing off another buck. But, without question, some of it is from a buck moving in, breeding the standing doe, and then moving on to the next in short order, leaving the doe while she is still willing to stand to some degree.

D&DH had an article on it a few years back, maybe 2 or so, and I think Ozoga (sp?) was the author.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”