Roadkill...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fred bear

Roadkill...

Unread postby fred bear » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 am

for work today i drove from madison to eau claire over to wausau and back to madison and i counted 16 bucks and AT LEAST 50 does/unidentifiables! all the bucks seemed to be 1 1/2 year olds except for one REALLY nice buck that was approaching booner status! sure is a shame... the deer are definitely starting to move though!!! the majority of them were in the portage area

A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work...
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Re: Roadkill...

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am

Wow thats alot....my uncle took the interstate from Madison to Tomah to get to my place and only saw 4.......this was on October 26. seems to be a big jump the past few days.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:29 am

fred bear wrote:for work today i drove from madison to eau claire over to wausau and back to madison and i counted 16 bucks and AT LEAST 50 does/unidentifiables! all the bucks seemed to be 1 1/2 year olds except for one REALLY nice buck that was approaching booner status! sure is a shame... the deer are definitely starting to move though!!! the majority of them were in the portage area

I think this is one of the best ways to predict when the ruts starting. I use this every year and I am seeing the same, the 1.5 year olds are getting smoked left and right. I also have been seeing a lot of larger bucks near the roads around 8 or so, so that tells me that in a lot of spots the bigger boys are still in their usual patterns though that will be changing very soon if it hasn't already. Were people putting helium balloons on the deer? Around here people keep tying "GET WELL SOON" balloons on all the roadkill.
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:46 pm

fred bear wrote:REALLY nice buck that was approaching booner status! sure is a shame... the deer are definitely starting to move though!!! the majority of them were in the portage area

I would have cut the rack off or done something with a buck that big!!

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:05 pm

rudy78 wrote:
fred bear wrote:REALLY nice buck that was approaching booner status! sure is a shame... the deer are definitely starting to move though!!! the majority of them were in the portage area

I would have cut the rack off or done something with a buck that big!!

[ Post made via Palm ] Image

Don't get caught doing that, make sure you get the proper tags first (not saying you wouldn't), a local taxidermist got caught doing that around here and darn near lost his taxidermy license and did manage to get some huge tickets.
Z7WIBoy

Unread postby Z7WIBoy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:48 pm

That's a huge jump. I just came back Sunday from neillsvilles to new Richmond via 94 and only saw 4. Good thing I leave for 12 days of hunting tomorrow.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Platinum PETA Member
(People Eating Tasty Animals)
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:50 pm

I drive 100 miles round trip to work.... through Waupaca Cty... so far nada! When it is rocking I typically see a dozen or so

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fred bear

Unread postby fred bear » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:05 pm

yeah there wasnt that many between eau claire and wausau... the majority i saw was highly concentrated between wisconsin dells and portage on both sides I94 and I39..... alot in columbia county... it was kind of unreal! I wasnt expecting to see that many racks just layin in the ditch! its been pretty slow where ive been hunting in dane county, but i think i will start seeing some big boys movin by next week. ive been hunting some very isolated buck beds the last 2 weekends, and i feel like i need to set up by some good doe beds i know about... i dunno though? i feel like sometimes i go to too remote areas and overlook some obvious deer funnels... sometimes i swear your gut just tells you "set up here"!
A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work...
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:31 am

fred bear wrote: the majority i saw was highly concentrated between wisconsin dells and portage on both sides I94 and I39..... alot in columbia county... it was kind of unreal!

I better get down and hunt my spot! Oh yea, I am 8-)
When better is possible, good is never good enough
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:58 am

i seen a monster on the side of 151 last week. it had to be all of 150" with alot of mass. i would have stopped and called in for a tag but was in the work truck on the way to a job. last year we where working in montello and the area around endeavor on 39 has the most roadkill i have ever seen. one morning 3 big bucks all within 100 yards of each other, the next morning there was 2 more in the same area and they where all nice bucks again. weird all of them right by the on-off ramps for 23 onto 39. i would have to say there is alot of bucks in the area
I BELIEVE IN PEACE.........THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER!
south

Unread postby south » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:23 am

My old insurance man was a deer hunter and he could tell you what week each year the "rut" started simply based on his deer/vehicle claims. He told me he had years of data. I asked him once for a printout of the dates as I wanted to compare his data to moon/weather info, sadly he died before I ever got the data.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:57 am

starting november 1st every year i start listening to a scanner at night. its amazing how many deer/car crashes happen in a night once the rut kicks in. a sure way to know when the deer are chasing.
whitetail007
500 Club

Unread postby whitetail007 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 pm

big boys are on the move again. seen a big buck on I-94 in the ditch and one on 151 {verona rd} right by the Dry Bean in Madison. the one in Madison was a slob, 20+ wide atleast with a heavy rack. I couldn't believe it when I seen it laying right there on the side of the road, had to be 150 or better. the one on I-94 was a nice buck to, tall tines. sad to see these nice bucks laying in the ditches and not on tailgates.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:10 pm

We are in the middle of the first good flurry of pre-rut activity I think. I drive a ton for work all across IA and the roadkills have picked up but its very localized and mostly young bucks yet...the biggest ones are not moving much yet. Give it a week-10 days, I do think peak rutting movement will be a bit later this year than the last couple years even though yes I know breeding is controlled by length of daylight ;)
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:32 pm

I drive 50 miles round trip to work, all in Marathon Co. Big bucks aren't moving yet. I expect them in another week. Last year I drove 300 miles (yes 300) round trip to work. Best day was November 2nd. Saw two that approached Boone in Columbia Co. on that day.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”