Trail camera

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Remington guy

Trail camera

Unread postby Remington guy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am

What is a good but cheap trail camera to buy?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

whitetailassasin

Re: Trail camera

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:01 am

I paid 190 off ebay free shipping for my cuddeback attack ir, it's middle of the road on the cost, recoynx is like 350plus, but the quality and ease of using the camera is phenomenal.
jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

love my Reconyx RC500 but at about $550 all setup with lock box, python...etc I sure cant afford many :)

I have buddies that have had good experiences with the Bushnell Trophy Cams @ about $200/ea they are a little easier to swallow..

My list of cameras I have had no luck with (<2 yrs service until death)

Moultrie D40
SG550
Wildgame X50
Wildgame IR4

Basically through trial, error and cash down a black hole I have come to the conclusion I can't save money on cheap cams... the Bushnell Trophy Cam is as low end as I would personally go, but I really want more Reconyx cams
rudy78
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716176610

Unread postby rudy78 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

the bushnelll's are good & covert's. I have a few with no issues & my friend has over 20 with no issues either.

[ Post made via Palm ] Image
Full Access- Rom. 5:1-2
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 pm

Do these cameras have video camera? Also I want one with no lights or flashing camera

rack addict
500 Club

Unread postby rack addict » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 pm

I would say you get what you pay for with trail cameras. Especially if your looking for a black flash camera. I'm a huge fan of covert's camera's and there customer service. I personally love the covert red 40 the pics are absolutely beautiful. I've found that if I hang my camera at about 6ft the deer do not seem to even notice that its there. I used to think I needed to get a black flash camera until I started hanging them high and I really don't see the need for one.
trdtnlbwhntr

Unread postby trdtnlbwhntr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:10 pm

go to the moultrie website and look at their online deals sections. You can find very prices on last years models or multipack deals to help them move inventory. I picked up two IR35 or something like that for 175. They take great pictures and are obviously IR cameras so they dont have a flash. They do not have the plot watcher technology but I didnt need that feature anyways.
Remington guy

Unread postby Remington guy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 pm

Huh ok thanks for the info and quick responses I have 6 scraps on a trail that were not there last year, and they are Fairley large, so wanna see what's out there even if I don't get a shot at one this year

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:38 pm

I use mainly Bushnells and also have a few cuddebacks in there. The cuddebacks are decent, IR pics are pretty good and rarely get any blank pics. The ones we do have take D cell batteries and will never buy a camera that takes D cell batteries. We go through a set of batteries every 6 weeks and it really adds up. The Cuddebacks with the actual flash do take very good night time pics though.

I mainly use Bushnell Trophy cams. I've bought at least one over the past three years and all work great. I have yet to have any problems and I've only changed the batteries at most once on all of them. My oldest camera that I keep out June to January I have yet to change the batteries and its taken thousands of pictures. The new Bushnell HD camera is by far my favorite. I've had it out for two months now and have checked it once after 6 weeks and had over a 1000 pictures with no blank pics. I thought I had a few blank pics but after carefully looking I saw a couple coyotes running through the CRP. I actually bought another one off ebay last night for $160 including shipping. I'm hoping to have it by 10AM friday to make the trip down to deer camp with me.

On a side note, people get a little worried about buying cameras off of ebay. If you can find a reputable seller that has sold over 15 of the same camera, you usually can trust they are a pretty good seller. Stay away from people just selling one camera at a time with low feedback. Just my experience!
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:11 pm

Moultrie has a "black light" or no glow that you can get for around $160. I have a moultrie m80xt and I like it.This will probably be my next camera. Check out on Ebay Archery Elements web page. He is out of Green Bay and sells lots of bows arrows cameras etc.. on ebay. I will buy from him again!
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm

Another vote for Coverts... great pics, camera speed, customer service, battery life etc
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:17 pm

rack addict wrote:I would say you get what you pay for with trail cameras. Especially if your looking for a black flash camera. I'm a huge fan of covert's camera's and there customer service. I personally love the covert red 40 the pics are absolutely beautiful. I've found that if I hang my camera at about 6ft the deer do not seem to even notice that its there. I used to think I needed to get a black flash camera until I started hanging them high and I really don't see the need for one.

I have started hanging my cameras around 7' and when I have the video mode on the deer will look up and notice the red glow from the camera. I switched back to just pics and have no problems. So if you want it for video I would go with the no glow.
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Moultrie L50 is one of the best camera's i have used. We have a Remeington ghost and others that just don't take very good pictures and the batteries don't last long. Just me.
Arki

Unread postby Arki » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:34 pm

Another vote for covert! I put my covert 3.0 above my D-55 ir and it was crazy at the amount of pics the d-55 was missing so much that I took it down and haven't put it back up. The only thing is I wish covert was more square like the bushnells and had a similar security box to the bushnells.

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Bushnell has a version of their Trophy Cam made specifically for Walmart. It is only $ 99.00 and is very small and compact. comes with a mounting arm as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”