TS SAFETY

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

TS SAFETY

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:24 am

How many of u hang ur stand with safety belt on? I currently don't but I need to try the Lw method as shown in the TS manual.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Last edited by wmihunter on Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wmihunter

Re: TA SAFETY

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:26 am

It's too easy to fall and I don't want to become a statistic

Brad

Re: TS SAFETY

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:48 am

Do you mean the linesmen belt? If so yes I use that every single time. I have done it without and always felt like I was cheating death, now I use it every time. About the only thing I skimp on is using the tether while I am using my climber, I use it once I am in the stand but never use it going up or coming down. I always feel pretty safe when I am sitting on the bar raising or lowering the platform or when stand on the platform and raising or lowering the climbing top. I need to get in the habit of using it though.
HuntMeister

Unread postby HuntMeister » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:38 pm

Always use my linesman belt! I have lifelines on every permanent stand too.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Do you use the line mans belt when hanging sticks too?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:46 pm

I use mine any time my feet are off the ground. You can never be too safe. I had way too many close calls in my younger and dumber days!

Mario
ProStaff

Unread postby Mario » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Get yourself a nice safety harness, they can be pricey but well worth the money versus the alternative if you fall. I use a climber for the majority of my hunts. I hook my HSS into my safety line on the way up the tree then use the provided tree strap to clip into once I am in position on the tree. It just gives me peace of mind especially when I am out in the woods alone... good luck!
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:21 pm

Dewey wrote:I use mine any time my feet are off the ground. You can never be too safe. I had way too many close calls in my younger and dumber days!

What Dewey said^ I fell out of a tree when I was young and dumb. It's not fun I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I've had a irrational fear of heights ever since that I struggle with every time I get in a tree now. It's stupid not to wear a harness imho.
MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Unread postby MN Legacy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:52 pm

I've been using my safety harness that came standard with my Assault and it seems to work all right. The only problem I have with it is it always tangled. So I think that next year I'm going to get ether the Lone Alpa tech or HSS. You never can be to safe.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:58 pm

wmihunter wrote:Do you use the line mans belt when hanging sticks too?

To me that is the time you need it most. I have done it without and it takes me 3 times longer, makes way more noise and movement, and is very easy to make a mistake or have equipment failure. If I could not use a linemens belt with my alpha and sticks I would quit using them and just use a climber.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:59 pm

Brad Lamont wrote:

To me that is the time you need it most. I have done it without and it takes me 3 times longer, makes way more noise and movement, and is very easy to make a mistake or have equipment failure. If I could not use a linemens belt with my alpha and sticks I would quit using them and just use a climber.

I have had the opposite experience. I typically don't use a lineman's belt hanging sticks, because using the belt takes WAY longer and is noisier typically for me. When I use the belt, I'm constantly having to unhook it and pass it over yet another branch on the backside of the tree, and then clip myself back in, and I feel that it's hard to shimmy the belt up the back of the tree as I stand up with my legs. When I go without the belt, I don't need to worry about gnarly trees, I use the insides of my thighs and arms to maintain a squeeze on the tree, and when a stick is cinched I can just climb up onto it and start working on the next.

This of course works best with small trees. Bigger trees are always harder, and I sometimes need to use the lineman's belt if I'm really struggling to squeeze the tree with my thighs and arms. I typically always use the belt when putting the stand on though. Hanging the stand for me is harder because it's bigger, heavier, and the weight is further out from the tree. Sometimes I don't use it if it's a really small tree though.

Basically I let the tree tell me if I need a belt, but the trees that require it always take longer to setup, and they're usually noisier for me (because no matter how careful you are, the metal clip always seems to ding something, or the belt snaps off an unseen dead twig on the back of the tree).
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:43 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:
Brad Lamont wrote:

Basically I let the tree tell me if I need a belt, but the trees that require it always take longer to setup, and they're usually noisier for me (because no matter how careful you are, the metal clip always seems to ding something, or the belt snaps off an unseen dead twig on the back of the tree).

Sure using a lineman's belt can take longer to set up with and takes some getting used to but the alternative of spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair and never hunting again are much worse. I don't know about you but I sure don't trust my life on that one strap on your LW step. Things fail and no matter how careful you are accidents will eventually happen. I have been saved by my lineman's belt 3 times in the last few years. Hate to think what could have happened without it! :shock:

wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I will start using the line mans belt. It would be hard to forgive myself if I was to get seriously injured. I've fallen before and I don't want it to happen again-next time it could be much worse

Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

I use it after first 2 sticks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Swampthing wrote:I use it after first 2 sticks.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Good tip!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”