Need assistance in sitting location(s)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

exojam

Need assistance in sitting location(s)

Unread postby exojam » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:53 pm

I was hoping someone could look at the piece of land and suggest some sitting locations based off of the different wind conditions. I am just looking for the basic N-S-E-W stuff and not all variations of the wind. Please keep in mind that I will be in a blind so I will be on the edge of the woods in which ever location.

The reason I am asking for a few possible locations is I cannot go on a specific wind day and if I can find a few spots than no matter what day I go up there I can try and grab a spot based off of that days wind.

Thanks, James

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Need assistance in sitting location(s)

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 am

ExoJam,

Have you hunted here before? If so, I would take a couple evenings and just watch deer from a distance. Get a feel for their movement patterns and let us know your observations. For Example, when and where you have seen deer, etc.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:31 am

MOBIGBUCKS,

I went there last night and did not see anything. I was on the left hand side of the area at the bottom of the picture, about a middle of the way down. The section that goes woods-open field-woods and looks like this |_|. Bad description I know.

The gentleman who took me there goes there a lot for goose hunting. He states he mostly see them up in the "T" section of the road (right below the word size on the picture).

He has walked the area quite a bit and finds deer trails all over the property. Now he does not hunt like most of you so I was just hoping to have a few spots pointed out like if someone was to go in on a blind hunt.

James
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:40 am

With a property that small, I would do a lot of long range glassing for a couple days in the mornings and evening before going in and hunting. If you are gonna go in blind, you might look at the area on your map to the left side of that big ridge. There are two cover types that converge there; it would be a natural travel area for deer. Probably have to have a S or an E wind. Other than that, let the deer dictate where you setup.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:48 am

Where do you access the property from? North or South side? If you can glass from the North side that will be your best bet.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:52 am

If you came in there from the North last night and went down in that field finger, the deer most likely saw or heard you from your entrance. That is most likely why you didn't see much there.

Sometimes, you just have to err on the side of caution and observe before moving in for the kill.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:08 am

MOBIGBUCKS,

Thank you for the replies and information.

I have attached another screen showing where I came in at and where I sat last night with a good northern wind. Unfortunately if I am reading your information correctly about "left side of that big ridge" that will put me into the woods and I cannot access that in my wheelchair and have not way of getting my scooter up there. For this property I am stuck to the wood lines for any hunting.

On a side note we did get in there around 1 in the afternoon and stayed till dark. From my understanding from the friend who took me the deer are used to seeing cars coming and going do to the goose hunting going on there.

Thanks again, James

exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 am

MOBIGBUCKS,

I also wanted to say I agree that I need to get over there and see if I can see anything through the binoculars. I believe all hunting I do there will be at night so I will try to pop over there tomorrow and see what I can find. The rest of the week may be out though since I am scheduled for the paralyzed hunt at Devens starting early Thursday morning.

On a side not this area is a little farm that had corn and squash this year, not sure if that matters but the more information the better.

I will also be going for anything that shows; does, young bucks, etc. I am new to hunting and have no kills so I need the practice.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

James
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:56 am

If I had to choose an edge spot without glassing 1st, this (red dot) is where I think you would be most likely to see bucks based on terrain and transition. West or South wind.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you very much for the input Dan.

James
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:43 pm

exojam wrote:MOBIGBUCKS,

Thank you for the replies and information.

I have attached another screen showing where I came in at and where I sat last night with a good northern wind. Unfortunately if I am reading your information correctly about "left side of that big ridge" that will put me into the woods and I cannot access that in my wheelchair and have not way of getting my scooter up there. For this property I am stuck to the wood lines for any hunting.

On a side note we did get in there around 1 in the afternoon and stayed till dark. From my understanding from the friend who took me the deer are used to seeing cars coming and going do to the goose hunting going on there.

Thanks again, James

James,

When I said left side of the ridge I meant down on the field edge where Dan put his marker for you. That edge will naturally funnel deer traffic towards that field. Good luck man!!! Get out there and do some glassing in the evening.
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:03 pm

MOBIGBUCKS,

Thanks for the clarification.

The bad thing is I am so new to this I missed two opportunities to go and glass the area last week. I knew we were planning to go hunt there at some time and I was in the area for a while dropping off and waiting for my daughter at soccer practice and did not even think of heading over :oops: Lesson learned.

James
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:39 am

exojam wrote:MOBIGBUCKS,

Thanks for the clarification.

The bad thing is I am so new to this I missed two opportunities to go and glass the area last week. I knew we were planning to go hunt there at some time and I was in the area for a while dropping off and waiting for my daughter at soccer practice and did not even think of heading over :oops: Lesson learned.

James

Let us know what you see. what was in that crop field this year?
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 pm

I went out there at about 4:15 this afternoon and did not see anything. I probably did not see much due to the fact I had to call my hunting friend to come jump start my van around 5:30 since I left my dang head lights on and drained the battery. So with that I wasted the best part of the sit and probably keep anything that was there within the tree line and out of sight.

They had corn and squash in the field, the corn was in the area where I had setup my blind.

James

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”