Big woods bedding observation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Big woods bedding observation

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:03 pm

The land I hunt in northern MN isn't "big woods" proper in the truest sense, but it does share the same habitat and movement patterns much of the time. I had a 2.5 year old buck bed down by my stand a little after 8 this morning. The location of the bed was on a gentle slope in open hardwoods, about 60 yards upwind from a swamp. He could probably see 60-100 yards in every direction. An hour and a half after he bedded down, he got back up and walked off.

Thinking this was odd, I told one of my friends dad who has hunted the area for decades. He said its quite normal for deer to bed for an hour or so, get back up and bed down somewhere else or a bit, etc. But they usually don't have one primary "bed" per se like you'd see in marsh or hill country. He said he thinks it may have something to do with predation that they dont want to bed in any one spot for too long up here. Thoughts?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Big woods bedding observation

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:32 pm

You have wolves up in northern Minnesota. That could be part of the reason. I have observed bucks bedding in different locations many times over the years. In thick cover they do move around and bed in different spots throughout the day. I call these bedding areas. They must feel safe where they bed or they move to where they do feel safe.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
straitnarrow

Unread postby straitnarrow » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Did the wind happen to change?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Bobby G
UPbowhunter
Facebook: todd freeman

Unread postby UPbowhunter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:26 pm

straitnarrow wrote:Did the wind happen to change?

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

X2??

Go Go Epic Stuff, Seek Wilderness
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:45 pm

He was still looking for Brandy ( really....she looked good looking tonight) Magic man is is beded on my couch...... really don't think he cares what way the wind is blowing rightht now.

The buck was looking for females, just like magic man was all night.

They both need a little rest. Good night.

Sounds like both of them struck out.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:He was still looking for Brandy ( really....she looked good looking tonight) Magic man is is beded on my couch...... really don't think he cares what way the wind is blowing rightht now.

Did Magic pee on his knobby kness and rub them together to help disperse his scent? :roll:

I would guess that deer was in a comfortable/safe place and the wind shifted
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:17 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
Hodag Hunter wrote:He was still looking for Brandy ( really....she looked good looking tonight) Magic man is is beded on my couch...... really don't think he cares what way the wind is blowing rightht now.

[glow=red]Did Magic pee on his knobby kness and rub them together to help disperse his scent? :roll:[/glow]

I would guess that deer was in a comfortable/safe place and the wind shifted

If Magic did this, I hope it wasnt in the presence of others, and surely he didnt scrape the ground or dance floor, wherever he was! If he did, I am thinking this may have prevented him from finding love! :lol:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:35 am

Reading the replys it already seems to be covered, but in pre-rut bucks often bed in the morning just like any other time of the year, but then rise an hour or two after sun rise to cruise for does...
Could of also been a wind shift, making him want to bed somewhere else, or just the way the air currents and thermals were working... I have seen this in swamps and farm country too on occasion.
I do see primary bedding areas in flat big woods types areas, but they are not as common as they are in other types of terrain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”