Avoid getting picked off in a tree ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Avoid getting picked off in a tree ?

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:17 am

This depends on a lot of things- are the trees coniferous or in a small grove with other trees? Is it after leaf drop when the tree has no cover at all? If this is a lone, skinny little tree out in a new clearcut after leaf drop and you have any amount of hunting pressure in the area- good luck with that :) . Stand height, brushing it in, good camo or hiding on the backside with a treesaddle in this scenario probably isn't enough. IF this is the case, I agree with Dewey that the brush piles are a better option and its time to move beyond the "I have to be in a tree" mentality a lot of us have.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:31 am

dan wrote:
MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I use camoflex. I'm pretty sure Lone Wolf bought them. The stuff is awesome and looks like real leaves. The branches twist and you can manipulate them how you want in the tree. I only use them in the late season when the foliage is sparse. However, I still try to use the canopy of the tree in conjunction with these. They have a quick attachment system that you can zip tie directly to the stand; they are great and have allowed me too arrow many unkowing animals.

I have a brand new box of the Lone Wolf comoflex I am looking to sell for cheap.

I take it that you don't like it too much?? :D The only con I have with it is that it can be too loud if your carrying it through the woods. I would never use it trying to approach a buck on his bed. However, it works well in late season transition routes.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:20 am

Scott...

The tree's that are left are mostly white and red oaks and some maple here and there... I guess the idea of the whole thing from the forester was to get some light back in on the woods floor and get some new growth coming in... That's all fine, but boy, I really am going to stand out in the tree I'm afraid... Maybe not so much early season, but after the leave drop, I might have to stay out of a couple of the trees I normally would be in...

The only thing I don't really like about the idea of hunting from the ground is, scent control.. Hard enough to outsmart them big bucks when you are 25 feet up in a tree, let alone right on the ground with them.... I don't know, might just have to see how it goes this first year, and I'm thinking about getting some of that camoflex just to see how it works..
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:32 am

db- sounds like you've got a good grasp of what you are up against- new challenges make hunting interesting and all that much more satisfying when we're successful. Good luck this fall! 8-)
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:21 am

If you decide to go on the ground, check out G. Fred Asbell's book Stalking and Still Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible. There are some great ideas in there about ground blinds. He even goes as far as digging a small pit and putting some brush in front of it.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Dreaming, I killed my biggest buck on the ground. If your setup is right and you can keep the wind in your favor the ground can work well. Of course visibility is limited especially early season but it is easier to hide too. The times I have hunted on the ground I was amazed how close deer got without knowing I was there, some of them even saw me draw but just stood there with a puzzled look on their face wondering what the movement was. Painting your face or wearing a mask in essential.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”