Avoid getting picked off in a tree ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Avoid getting picked off in a tree ?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:26 am

Just wondering if any of you guys use any certain tactics to not getting picked off in a skinny tree... With my woods getting logged off this past winter, the amount of trees are far and few between.... Some of my tree stands are still out there in the few tree's left behind, and I'm pretty afraid of getting picked off by the deer in some of those skinny tree's now... I was wondering about hanging a gunny sack or something up in the tree to make it look somewhat like a human standing up there all summer long so the deer would get use to it.... What do you guys think, would I be wasting my time trying this ?

Hilts

Re: Avoid getting picked off in a tree ?

Unread postby Hilts » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:35 am

If I do any trimming of shooting lanes or up in the stand I usually take the branches and stick them in the holes around the outer edge of the platform. And with the lone wolf design(bigger holes) if you cut them long enough you can lean them out away from you to make sure they are not in your way. I also stuff extra branches above and behind me wherever I can get them to stay.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 am

Keep still.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:28 am

This is a situation, that I like to use my Tree saddle. Then you can keep the tree between you and the deer.
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:50 am

Black Squirrel wrote:This is a situation, that I like to use my Tree saddle. Then you can keep the tree between you and the deer.

I agree stay still and use the backside of the tree to shield you from approaching deer. I would want to be plenty high too.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:30 am

Depending what kind of tree your In you could camo It up some with adding branches If there's already a few branches up there. If I was you I wouldn't hang no sack up the right now, specially In a tree with no branches. Chances are they'll avoid that trail and make a new one. Also depending on the circumstances try going up higher If It's doable.

All In all though when you move In a tree that lacks cover you gotta move SLOWLY. I think allot of people get picked off from far distances then they realize.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:46 am

Do you have any brush piles you could use to make some natural ground blinds? Otherwise it's really tough to get away with much in a small tree unless it has lots of foliage early in the season.
The tree saddle idea is good as well. I have had good luck with mine in smaller trees. The deer don't seem to notice you nearly as well as they do in a treestand.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:37 am

yes, we have some brush piles, but I just don't know if I want to hunt from the ground or not...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:27 am

I would hunt from the tree if possible. For me a ground blind is only used if I have to... I would worry 1st about where the deer bedding is, and that may change a little after logging. Make sure they can't see you climb the tree or its over before it starts.
I try to climb up to the point where the tree starts branching off and gives you some cover. The main thing is that once your situated in a spot where you know you have the potential of being seen, don't move around or snap your head around fast looking around. Slow thought out movements. Deer will see you before you see them if you move.
When a deer is approaching, I try and get my body flat against the tree and remain motionless until its time to shoot or the deer pass by.
Bowhunt503

Unread postby Bowhunt503 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 pm

In fairly open woods (as we have in Oct. and Nov. in Wisconsin), the right camo pattern is the most critical. I am mainly referring to the leafless trees in a relatively open woods - hopefully you position yourself with some background cover. Think of camo patterns from a deer's perspective - looking up at you anywhere from 5 yards to 40 yards. In this situation, Realtree AP is too dark. It is a good pattern for early season or ground hunting, but not in the leafless tree. Did you ever notice on the Reatree TV commercials that the camera taking the picture of the hunter is taken from another tree and not from the ground? It is not very good when, from a deer's perspective, your background is 50% or more open sky. You need a pattern that is very light in color and does not contrast a lot with the blue to grey sky in your background. My recommendation - go to www.skylinecamo.com and check out the Horizon pattern. I have had numerous bucks within 15 yards of my stand looking my direction and could not pick me out - the base of my stand is only 13 feet up. I shot an 11 pointer at 8 yards two years ago & it was quartering toward me. another great pattern (but fairly expensive) is Scentlok's Vertigo pattern. Check this one out too. I belive it is the best open woods pattern for late fall hunting (but I can't get myself to spend the money).
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Invest in some Predator Fall Gray camo.....seriously, the deer will see right through you....the stuff is amazing.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 pm

I use camoflex. I'm pretty sure Lone Wolf bought them. The stuff is awesome and looks like real leaves. The branches twist and you can manipulate them how you want in the tree. I only use them in the late season when the foliage is sparse. However, I still try to use the canopy of the tree in conjunction with these. They have a quick attachment system that you can zip tie directly to the stand; they are great and have allowed me too arrow many unkowing animals.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:44 pm

Sometimes you can get the fork in the tree between you and where you expect the deer to come from.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:35 pm

MOBIGBUCKS wrote:I use camoflex. I'm pretty sure Lone Wolf bought them. The stuff is awesome and looks like real leaves. The branches twist and you can manipulate them how you want in the tree. I only use them in the late season when the foliage is sparse. However, I still try to use the canopy of the tree in conjunction with these. They have a quick attachment system that you can zip tie directly to the stand; they are great and have allowed me too arrow many unkowing animals.

I have a brand new box of the Lone Wolf comoflex I am looking to sell for cheap.
10point

Unread postby 10point » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 pm

Ideally, a big ol' pine tree is the way to go. However, if there is not one available, height is my greatest asset when trying to stay concealed from movement.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”